No announcement yet.

What's the best Windows-based proxy server?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best Windows-based proxy server?

I'm looking at upgrading our proxy server and am looking at MS ForeFront. Are there better products out there?

We don't use MOM or anything like that, just Symantec Service Desk, Deployment Server & Notification Server.

My prerequisites are to be able to create filters for different types of access, reporting on who is doing what on which site, monitor downloads, and easy to configure and use. My environment is all Windows machines incl. Win7 workstations.

Also, I'd like to find a download to test Forefront but I can't seem to find this on the MS sites!? Thanks.
    +-- JDMils
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades

Re: What's the best Windows-based proxy server?

I assume when you say Forefront you mean Forefront Threat Management Gateway, as there are lots of products in the Forefront family.

TMG will do what you want, but it ain't cheap. As far as I am aware eval copies aren't available since the public beta was withdrawn. We're MS Partners, so I haven't looked though, we have MSDN.

Easy to configure and use is subjective, I'm an MCTS in ISA Server and pretty experienced with it so I find it easy. Lots of newbies are intimidated by ISA/TMG though.

TMG also now has built in web filtering by category (on a subscription basis), malware inspection, WAN failover/load balancing, VPN endpoint etc. It's very much an enterprise-class product in terms of features and cost, so if you're a small company it might not be what you are looking for.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    Cruachan's Blog

4 years and 750 posts -- you should know not to post something like this in the coffee lounge

Moved to General Security forum
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Evaluation for ForeFront TMG can be found here:
        Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Why does your IT department NOT have a TechNet subscription? Surely for an organisation of your size they can afford a couple of hundred dollars that can be tax claim.
          Departed: 23rd December 2015