Removing AVG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing AVG

Both this Windows 7 Desktop and my Windows 10 laptop take ages to start up because I can see the delays are caused by AVG installed. Also MalwareBytes installed on both claim any additional antivirus is not needed. Therefore I propose to uninstall AVG on both before the subscription is needed to be renewed. But some URLs claim you can just use Add Remove in the control panel to uninstall AVG. Another URL asks for my AVG licence before perhaps emailing a removal tool. I do in fact have an older removal.

Which method do you suggest I use to uninstall AVG? Perhaps asking for my AVG license is to enable AVG to pester me why I want to uninstall it! Is it safe to simply use the older Removal EXE I have had for a year or two?

I would add/remove first, then look into other options ONLY if it fails
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks I presume I should open in safe mode first otherwise in normal mode AVG will be running and refuse to allow it to uninstall.

Comment

No, any well behaved program should uninstall in normal mode - I have used AVG occasionally and don't remember any issues with removing it
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks again Ossian, It amazes me how uninstalling manages to clean up the registries.

Comment

If anyone else is thinking of removing AVG as Malwarebytes says say no extra Antivirus is also needed. I had no trouble removing AVG on this Win 7 and Win 10. Though it took a few minutes and the fact AVG must have been active at the time made no difference.

Comment

I've used AVG on and off (currently on) and I've honestly found it plays by "the rules" ... I've never had a problem uninstalling it by the normal methods (for me, that's control panel).

Keke
              J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
              The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

Working...
              X