Dubious Antivirus software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dubious Antivirus software

After taking my slow laptop to a local PC repairer they not only upgraded Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 but also installed the free version of Malwarebytes. It can only be safely to download from https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/ Beware other sites are liable to install more malware instead. The shop used its free scan and removed 20 malware I then used it on this old Windows 7 and removed 72. It seems much of today’s so called antivirus like AVG installed on both fails to detect malware. So why not use the current 14 day free version to run a scan. You may be horrified to see what malware it finds. If so I suggest you buy the full version for a mere £29 or £40 for two PCs.

Once it finds malware it makes it harmless by moving it to Quarantine. I strongly advise you to then use the Delete option anyway to remove it completely. That is if only to be sure any other malware it finds later is obviously new and not old. Meanwhile it blocks any more malware and warns you. A pal of mine who visits sites to download help to create games got so fed up with the numerous warnings of blocks he has disabled just the warning notifications.

The makers of Malwarebytes claims it makes other antivirus unnecessary I wonder if any of you agree.

My wife clicks on anything that has a button in Facebork and before I install Malwarebytes, I or my daughter (she has the IT degree) would have to clean out the crap on an almost daily basis. After Malwarebytes was installed, (I also have Microsoft Security Essentials install) her laptop has not had an infection in the past 5 years and neither has her new one that is nearly 1 year old. I don't know if I would call Malwarebytes an anti-virus but it sure as hell like to find and clean out anything you may be infected with.

I do what I tell others not to do and run my account under Administrator privileges and in 6 years I have never had an infection of any sort. I also run MSE. The best part of Malwarebytes IMO is it stops you from loading sites that have malicious content that tries to install on you machine. This feature is only available on the 14 day trial or on the full version which I paid AUD$16 for a lifetime licence 6+ year ago. I am now annoyed that I didn't buy an extra 5 licences at that time.

Malwarebytes is essential on a machine IMO. There even a version for the Mac.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

^^AGREED^^

And yes i am shouting it. I have the paid version of MalwareBytes and have for many years.

Brilliant piece of anti-malware software IMO.

Comment

Another ++ for Malwarebytes - on Win10 I just use it and Windows Defender

Separately, I worry about the "upgrading you to Windows 10" I hope you asked for it, also not sure about the licensing now the free upgrade period is long gone.

Moving this thread to general security as it is probably off topic for suggestions and feedback
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I am not complaining they only charged me some £30 for all the work.

Am I right in thinking MS no longer support this Windows 7 ? If so it would explain why I have not had any more updates for this desktop. This would also explain why the odd one would fail to install and I had to use the MS Trouble shooter for updates. Should I worry there must be thousands still using Win 7?

Comment

Windows 7 end of life support date is January 14, 2020, so it is good for another 2½ years. Then I will either move to Windows 8.1 which is good until January 10, 2023 or install a Linus flavour.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

It's a pleasure Gordon and you are a braver man than I am for going to Windows 10 like you did though I may dig out a HDD and install Education or Enterprise and see how that runs. I mention those two because it is my understanding (may actually research it one day) that there is no advertising on the Education version and no slurping of personal info from it and Enterprise being similar and goes where no Windows 10 has gone before [que Star Trek music].
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I must admit I mostly only use the Toshiba laptop once a month so that 3 housebound members of the club can see and join in meetings on Skype. Mind you the members make such a noise at meetings I will have to plug in an earphone to the laptop. So I am not bothered what version of Windows is running though I had to force a close down when I noticed a big MS update when I wanted to go home.

So why do you prefer Windows 8.1 to 10 and are MS likely to cease to support 8.1 much sooner than 10. Also if I install 8.1 on this old desktop does it automatically install all existing software like Win 10?

Comment

Working...
                  X