Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best Anti virus software for my servers ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best Anti virus software for my servers ?

Hello,

I am looking for the best AV, from your experience, to install on my WWW servers.

The servers are windows 2003 and windows 2008.

Thanks

Re: Whats the best Anti virus software for my servers ?

Matter of opinion really
    I have had good experiences with McAfee (VSE 8.7) and Kaspersky, but others will differ
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'd look at it this way.
      It's a WWW server. All it does it host www pages.
      If you secure your sever so noone can log on to it, and regularly check security on the server itself, including patching IIS etc, you may be able to avoid anti-virus.

It all depends on the scenario really. AV is not always an essential component.

and if you do go with an AV install, how will you configure it ? If you use On-Acces-Scanning, any time any file is accessed, it's going to be scanned.

So assume your webserver is serving 1000 hits a day, and each hit comprises, say 15 elements, that's alot of files being scanned, all the time. Can your system overhead support that? And if you use just a single daily, or weekly scan, well you're back in the same position as before - you have a threat window of a day, or a week, or whatever.

I'm not in any way trying to tell you NOT to use AV, just trying to guide your thinking as to whether it's absolutely essential...

(as a side note, I don't run AV on any of my personal computers. The only reason I run Windows Firewall is because I'm on a wifi network shared with other residents, when i was in my own house, I let the router do it, and never ran anything on my laptops at all.)
      Last edited by tehcamel; 3rd October 2010, 17:49.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks,

And what do you recommend for regularly checking security on the server itself ?

Comment

manual intervention and review..

knowing what your server(s) should be doing and when - preventing communications that you're not expecting through firewall controls, preventing access methods through access control, running best practices analysers, running baseline security analysers, having a test environment to test and apply new patches as quickly as possible, especially if they relate to IIS or Dotnet

I'm not outright, definitively saying you 100% shouldn't run antivirus, just giving you some things to think about
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

For me McAfee is OK. I am using for all PC and servers and running thru EPO.

Version 8.7i Patch 4

Comment

I am working with NOD32 Anti Virus Business edition for now.
              I thought moving to Trend Micro Worry-Free™ Business Security 6 Advanced.

The NOD32 is cheaper then Trend micro for about 30$ but this is not an issue.

What do you think about them ? what is best ?

Thanks

Comment

There is no "best" av solution out there imo.

We use McAfee here and i despise it but that going back to the good old groupshield days lol.

Comment

I agreed with Ossian .....there others good AV out there and I I've been happily using ZenOK Backup with a Free antivirus 2 in 1 : )

months ago I got the worst virus ever I couldnt even get a websitw opened more than 5 minutes...a friend of me talked to me about it....so it worked really good...

ah I lost most of my data and I
                  was charged only 34 USD per year for 150 GB of backup space and from that day I save my files....hope it works for you......
                  Last edited by nirvana; 20th October 2010, 16:03.

Comment

Kaspersky's products have been really reliable to me.

SUPERAntiSpyware is a good tool to have

And Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
                    "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

We used to push mcafee strongley as it did what was required, but its got very heavy and chucnky over the years so now we have moved onto Trend AV, the managemnt consoles are good, very customisable and is not heavy at all.
                      Allen White
                      MCSE,MCSA,MCITP,MCTS,CCA,CCSP,VCP

Comment

Just my 2 cents.
                        The company im at now and the one before both used sophos, its been good and centerally managed.
                        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

As is my customary response, check out the latest Gartner Magic Quadrant and see what suits you best.

McAfee, Symantec, Trend and Sophos all generally come out around the same for virus detection but Sophos tends to win on usability and management. IME Symantec is very resource hungry (needs a dedicated server IIRC), NOD32 is really not enterprise class, and Trend's support isn't worthy of the name. McAfee is pretty hard to use, and Microsoft's FCS is very expensive if you don't already have a SQL Server as it won't run on Express, assuming I didn't misread the horribly written deployment guides.
                          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                          sigpic
                          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                          X