No announcement yet.

Corporate AntiVirus/Protection reviews?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corporate AntiVirus/Protection reviews?

I would assume this would go under "General Security" - sorry if incorrect

The office currently uses McAfee Total Protection for Small Business.
    It has a great centralized management console via a web page, has anti-virus, browser protection and even a desktop firewall (which we don't use - too redundant). I've only had several small infections get passed which where cleaned easily but nothing of great concern. So what's my question?
    What, if any, corporate anti-virus software is out there that you can recommend that is NOT such a resource hog?
    This McAfee Total Protection for Small Business is bringing these computers to a crawl when booting up as well as when they auto update every 4 hours.

Our users have Dell Optiplex systems. All the way from GX280's to GX755's and GX380's.

Any input from personal experience would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by kanaloa; 4th August 2010, 02:01.

Re: Corporate AntiVirus/Protection reviews?

Search for the Gartner Magic Quadrant on and you'll get some good results. AV is very subjective and dependent on your needs, so it's worth reading an objective report and seeing what suits you best.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Not a resource hog? Try Placebo AV

Fully agree with cruachan - what makes a "good" AV is subjective and down to your requirements. I used to use McAfee until it became a bloated resource hog, then switched to the product I use now. It has one of the smallest system footprints of all commercial AVs and IMO does everything I need it to. It was rated as the most effective on the market several years running by Virus Bulletin. But my colleague won't touch it with a barge pole because it's caused him problems in the past.

You need to read the reviews, play with the trials and then make your own decision based on your findings. You're not going to get an objective, unbiased opinion on a forum
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

We've implemented CA eTrust in my network which I have mixed feelings about.

PROS
        - Not resource intensive at all so runs well on legacy hardware
        - Easy to install remotely
        - Easy to administer from the "ITM Server"
        - Policies are easy to set up and implement
        - Does not bog down computers even with real time scanning on
        - Automated installation of updated signatures downloaded from CA
        - Competitively priced (at least as far as I can tell)

CONS
        - Seems to have missed some viruses and malware that I've caught with anti-malwarebytes
        - There is a weird issue that causes problems with saving to network drives when the user is using MS Office 2007
        - I've noticed it slows Access Databases with Macros when scanned
        - Tech support leaves something to be desired

I hope this was a bit helpful in your quest for an AV solution

Comment

Cruachan,

You're exactly right when you say it really boils down to what our corporate needs are in an anti-virus product as this will ultimately determine the route we go. I will be following that link you provided and I feel confident you've started me down the right path.

Thank you also GForce and D for chiming in and providing me with your thoughts. Much appreciated!

Comment

For what it's worth kanaloa, I've found (in my relatively short time in IT) that proper group policy (not allowing staff to execute .exe files) will greatly help mitigate the threat of viruses in the work place.

As I mentioned before, CA has missed a few infections that anti malware malwarebytes has caught, but those were just .exe's sitting on their computer that were not installed.

Education is another important factor to end users (teaching employees how to spot risks and proper "web surfing practices") will reduce the risk as well. In a small company a Lunch & Learn will work, or maybe even an article posted on the company intranet.

Comment

Read my previous link about why AV is overrated. Not that I'm suggesting doing away with it, but because it's important to realise that having AV installed doesn't mean you're secure.

Also have a read of this http://thenubbyadmin.com/2010/06/28/...tell-about-it/

Basically, AV can be a valuable part of your security strategy, but it is critical to ensure that your system is hardened against all forms of security vulnerability, not just the oldschool viruses that conventional AV picks up. And if you have a machine you suspect of being infected, flatten and reinstall it.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
              X