Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RealVNC as internal support tool

Hi

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask my question, but I am new on this site

I am considering introducing RealVNC Free Edition as the tool to use when needing to support our users internally on our domain network, but I am not sure if it's a good idea.

My worries is not when the domain computers are connected to the company network, it's when they are away from the network. Will that make the computers more at risk? The computers have Windows Firewall enabled and Symantec Endpoint Protection is also enabled with firewall.

Re: RealVNC as internal support tool

Can you use the free edition for commercial use? You may find that you need the Enterprise edition instead.

In any case, no this should not cause too much of a security issue, because you've already configured Windows Firewall through Group Policy to open various ports while the machine is connected to the domain network, but to disallow those exceptions once the machine is disconnected, haven't you

If not, then you should really look into that first.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

The free version operates under the GNU GPL terms, so it should be ok.
      In terms of the security concerns, you need to configure the Standard Profile of the windows firewall as mentioned by Gforce (or any 3rd party host based firewall if it allows)GPO setting to block any incoming traffic to port 5900.
      Also the usual precautions, make sure you use an uptodate version, educate users, use a strong password etc
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Curious as to why you would want to install and use RealVNC rather than the easy to use ready to go Remote Desktop?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

With Remote Desktop, the user and IT guy can't both see the screen at the same time. Had you meant Remote Assistance on the other hand, then yes I'd agree - I always favour using the built-in option when that offers the functionality you need, rather than adding another layer of complexity. KISS
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

And remote assistance? Worked fine for me back in the days...
            Today, i love gotoassist
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

IIRC RealVNC free edition has a 10 client per site limit or something like that, to prevent full scale deployments.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

Haven't even considered using using Remote Assistant, but only because I haven't thought of it.

Is there an easy way to enable Remote Assistant on multiple machines through group policy? I haven't searched for the answer, I am currently busy.

Comment

Yes there is. Searching really doesn't take very long ... http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=enable+remo...e+group+policy

The third result in fact is one of Daniel's articles.

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  Damn -- beaten to it!
                  Yarp
                  Last edited by gforceindustries; 24th June 2010, 12:33.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Yes
                    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301527

Damn -- beaten to it!
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I know I'm late in replying to this, but I thought I should mention logmein.com

The free version works well and the PRO version is pretty inexpensive for the capabilities it give you. Just install free everywhere and PRO only where you absolutely need it.

Comment

And is allowed to use the free edition in a commercial environment?
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Actually.. that's a good question. I've never proposed it to the company but have also never had to use it on more than 10 computers.

I suppose that you could install it for an evaluation and upgrade to PRO once you decide to keep the product. PRO doesn't actually give you a license, but provides you with more admin and control capabilities. I'm not sure how to navigate those kind of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Sixgauge View Post
                            I've never proposed it to the company but have also never had to use it on more than 10 computers.
                            Keep in mind that licensing is often based on whether it's being used for personal or commercial use, more than the number of computers it's deployed on. There are plenty of free products out there that do an excellent job, but that you can't deploy in the workplace without buying licences, even if it's only on one machine.
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

Yes, I understand what you mean. I guess I always took it for granted that it was truly free due to their licensing procedures.

The user agreement is full of legal jargon, but it does contain this:
                              9.4 Free Subscriptions. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of these Terms, Your subscription to LogMeIn Free and to LogMeIn Hamachi or LogMeIn Hamachi² that are free do not require the payment of a subscription fee.
                              I found this on the community forums: http://community.logmein.com/t5/Free...use/td-p/41320

Seems like it may be okay afterall.
                              Last edited by Sixgauge; 15th July 2010, 16:04.

Comment

Working...
                              X