Antivirus Software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antivirus Software

A friend complains he has wasted money buying his own antivirus such as Avast, because a PC repairer has now installed the Free Microsoft Security Essential. Is that rue and all other Antivirus software is a waste of money per below:-

http://www.microsoft.com/security/products/mse.aspx

Re: Antivirus Software

Gordon, what on earth has this got to do with general NETWORKING?

Reported for move to general SECURITY unless you specify the client OS

In answer to your question:
    Help protect your PC with Microsoft Security Essentials
    Microsoft Security Essentials is a new, free consumer anti-malware solution for your computer
    So there is still a role for other AV solutions in the corporate world, and before MS came out with this product.

It is up to your friend if he decides to stick with Avast or go with MS, or even select another solution.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The anti virus "which is best" topic has been discussed many times previously. Just use the Search function to find them.

Anti virus is like a sports car. Everyone has a different opinion on which one is the best. What you need to do is find one that you like, find easy to use and of course detects and deletes virii.

My personal choice on Windows 7 was AVG and Microsoft Security Essential. AVG had to be installed first or it detected MSE as a conflicting program. I found the 2 didn't clash and worked ok together AND were free.

If you are in a position where you believe things you read, what companies with an interested tell you or what you hear from a computer repairer, I would like to inforrm you that I am the son of the President of secret African country and I need your help to get my father's hard earned money out of the country. I am letting you know this because I have read that you are a christian & god fearing man and I shall ................. etc etc.

Microsoft have, IMO, created a resonable A/V product at the right price. HOWEVER, once it reaches a certain popularity ie, Market Share, this product will cease to continue to be the "right price" and you will have to pay for it. You can't blame MS, after all, they are not a charity and have a right to make a profit on something that they have created or was created from the company they purchased.

AVAST has a free version of their product but the non free version has signifigantly more features. This is the same as many similar products. So, I refer you back to paragraph 2 but if you have the dosh and want the extra features and possibly even phone support when you have a problem, purchase the full product. The choice is yours.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        The anti virus "which is best" topic has been discussed many times previously. Just use the Search function to find them.

Anti virus is like a sports car. Everyone has a different opinion on which one is the best. What you need to do is find one that you like, find easy to use and of course detects and deletes virii.

My personal choice on Windows 7 was AVG and Microsoft Security Essential. AVG had to be installed first or it detected MSE as a conflicting program. I found the 2 didn't clash and worked ok together AND were free.

If you are in a position where you believe things you read, what companies with an interested tell you or what you hear from a computer repairer, I would like to inforrm you that I am the son of the President of secret African country and I need your help to get my father's hard earned money out of the country. I am letting you know this because I have read that you are a christian & god fearing man and I shall ................. etc etc.

Microsoft have, IMO, created a resonable A/V product at the right price. HOWEVER, once it reaches a certain popularity ie, Market Share, this product will cease to continue to be the "right price" and you will have to pay for it. You can't blame MS, after all, they are not a charity and have a right to make a profit on something that they have created or was created from the company they purchased.

AVAST has a free version of their product but the non free version has signifigantly more features. This is the same as many similar products. So, I refer you back to paragraph 2 but if you have the dosh and want the extra features and possibly even phone support when you have a problem, purchase the full product. The choice is yours.
        I install MSE on people's computers only to come back in a week and see SUPER ANTIVIRUS 2000 HAS DETECTED A VIRUS! CLICK HERE NOW TO BUY SOFTWARE TO REMOVE IT!!!

AV software is the biggest scam in the computer industry. I stopped recommending AV packages when asked, instead I tell people to buy an Apple.

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
          instead I tell people to buy an Apple.
          That's just security through obscurity.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Anyone given Placebo AV a try?
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
              That's just security through obscurity.
              No its not since the MacOS is not a secret.

Its Threat + Vulnerability = Risk

How many threats are targeted towards PCs vs Mac?

How many vulnerabilities exist on each OS?

Which system will be hammered when an average user goes on the internet? The outcome is obvious.

Comment

I think we can stop this right now and let Gordon get HIS thread back.

If you wish to discuss the merits of Macs, or lack of them, start an new thread.
                NO MORE WARNINGS!!
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I usually install a range of security products that protect a user.

My preferences are:

AVG Free
                  ZoneAlarm Free
                  Javacools Spyware Blaster
                  Spybot Search and Destroy
                  MalwareBytes

Usually using these is enough to keep most end users out of trouble. I used them for years before i got a mac, yes i have AV installed on that as well, and never had a virus on my system.

In saying that there is no account for stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    I think we can stop this right now and let Gordon get HIS thread back.

If you wish to discuss the merits of Macs, or lack of them, start an new thread.
                    NO MORE WARNINGS!!
                    You dink me for going off topic yet you get away with;

Last edited by Garen; 9th June 2010, 20:20.

Comment

All
                      Lets keep this thread ON TOPIC please
                      Garen, you may wish to consider editing or deleting your above post
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Gareth: That quote was before he asked everyone (which included himself) to get back on topic.

Ultimately no AV is 100% effective.

Comment

Thanks Guys. Actually it is not my problem, but that of one of the elderly ladies I help in some forums. She now complains that in spite of having removed the wretched Free MS Security Antivirus to avoid it clashing with her paid up version of Avast, the stupid MS boxes keep showing claiming now she no longer has any Malware protection !

Incidentally she continually suffers from warnings that Drivers have suddenly vanished, such as for a Kodak Printer and Optical mouse.

For what my opinion is worth on the basis you get ‘owt for nowt ‘ it seems obvious to me any free Antivirus will NEVER give you the full protection of a paid for version. Also I know of cases where a Patch for an update patch for the Free AVG caused chaos to a PC, another case from McFee giving false warnings to all the emails received from someonem which my Avast never reported from the same person. In fact recently I understand McFee also issued an up to date patch causing trouble with PCs. For years I used Norton by finally got fed up with the way is slowed up the PC all the time. Now I have to wait several minutes for Avast to install a new database if it has been a few hours since going online.
                          Last edited by GordonSweet; 10th June 2010, 07:34.

Comment

If Windows isn't detecting Avast, have you tried reinstalling it? Since you already know there was a clash between that and what you had installed already...

Every AV vendor at some point will probably have released a patch that trashed someones PC, for the same reason that Windows is unstable and OS X is stable: there is huge variety between the systems it installs on and it can never be exhaustively tesed.

@Ossian: dude, it's a day of rest *. You're up too early.

* isn't it?
                            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                            X