Use AV/Firewall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use AV/Firewall

Windows Server 2003 doesn't Support Most of Antivruses. What do you Sugges. Although I
    have used Microsoft Antispyware on it. But it's not too Powerfull.

Re: Use AV/Firewall

Mos of the AV support Win 2003 but you will need to get the correct version like:

1. Symantec 10 Corp.
    2. Macfee 8 Enterprise.
    3. Trend Office Scan 7.

etc.

Regards,

Yuval
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

In case there is some confusion, MS Antispyware is NOT and anti-virus. As the name suggests, it is anti-spyware, like Ad-Aware.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

yes, its a matter of the correct version.

In most cases, its more a monetary reason. AFAIK win2003 server core isnt that much different from winXP-pro core. I rather get the feeling/impression that its more a money-issue, since for "server versions" you pay a HECK lot more.

I use KASPERSKY A/V (www.kaspersky.com) you cant buy that in any store. But according to the web, its the best beside PANDA A/V - KASPERSKY has a better A/V engine and PANDA has a better GUI.

KASPERSKY has one backdraw though - it CAN make trouble w. programs that use quick-n-dirty DOS/CLI command scripts for deleting/moving/overwriting files. Since KASPERSKY is quite "overprotective" including to VB-scripting.
        Also if you use ZONE ALARM PRO as Personal Firewall software, Zonealarm blocks the online-update processing of Kaspersky. For some strange reason it's being blocked, even WITH max "trust" levels/rights.

I know of experience, cos one of my clients uss MDSS, an *old* MSDE2000/access2000 based program for Marketing-research data, and the vendor did quick-n-dirty scripting to do file-management on OS level.

On the other hand KASPERSKY updates itself up to EVERY HOUR, whereas McAfee/Symantec do it only once a day if i remember right. So it WILL make a difference between having your LAN/WAN infected or not. Also Kaspersky caught/found viruses/trojans that Symantec didnt. Also Kaspersky has a much lower overhead to your system resources than McAffee or Symantec.

last time i checked you pay ~500 USD for a 1-year-licence for 1 server including 10 users/workstations+10 emailboxes - which basically breaks down to the 50 bucks per user as a regular retailprice.

Kaspersky has never failed me so far, and kept a lot of shit out of my networks. It can be a bit picky and shut a program's commands/tasks out, if a software vendor does some quick-n-dirty programming routines, which will make the program crash.

as for spyware-killers, i recommend a combo of AD-AWARE *and* SPYBOT - SEARCH & DESTROY and HIJACK THIS!
        what one dosent catch, is caught by the other...and HIJACK THIS! is a program that goes into all OS startup/boot-routines and lists them...be careful what you delete there, though. You might kill your OS with it though or render certain programs inoperable by killing their startup-commands

hope that helps

cheers
        @

Comment

Originally posted by S2002
          Windows Server 2003 doesn't Support Most of Antivruses. What do you Sugges. Although I
          have used Microsoft Antispyware on it. But it's not too Powerfull.
          Are you by chance running the 64 bit version of 2003 server?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X