I have a major problem and was hoping someone could help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a major problem and was hoping someone could help

Yesterday my husband brought home his new computer from work which is set up to connect the company network through a modem (which he hasnít received yet). He asked me if I could log him onto our home network so he could check out the net etc so I clicked on the network icon then our network, entered the details and away he went, but today when he tried to go online the computer tried to connect but couldnít and didnít ask for any details. Now this is where I messed up, I thought that all I needed to do was check to make sure he was on the correct network so I went into -control panel-system-network-change and I changed the workgroup name form workgroup to our network name, it then restarted and his logon screen came up, he entered his username and password but was unable to log in, we have tried all night with the same results.

I have read a bit on changing passwords but am not sure if that would help as we didnít change anything except the workgroup name. The system running is XP but am not sure which service pack and am unable to check.

I am a little desperate as he needs the computer working before Monday, so any help would be very much appreciated.

Martika

Re: I have a major problem and was hoping someone could help

So did you removed the system from the domain?
    In that case, bring the system back to the admins and let him be reinstalled.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thanks Dumber for the reply. I'm not sure if changing the workgroup name changes the domain or not and as I have Vista on my machine I can't check. My husband was hoping I could fix the problem, as he works out on site it is difficult for him to get into the office to have it fixed.

Comment

Yes, changing the workgroup name does change the domain -- you cannot have both
        Best thing, as recommended, is to grovel to his system admins (and possibly point out their security policies are flawed if a user can disjoin the domain)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Unfortunately Ossian he wouldn't allow me to contact his admin and it's not in his nature to grovel so I guess he will just have to find some excuse.

It's such a pain that the only thing I changed was the workgroup name and now his user name and password don't work, and because he works out on site it can be a hassle just getting the laptop back to the office.

I feel really bad because normally I fix problems not create them, and totally useless because there is nothing I can do.

But thank you for your help.

Martika

Comment

I say, buy a pie and give it to the admins... or maybe a tray of beer
            Mistakes can be made...

The machine needs to be rejoined to the domain and probably that's all what the admins have to do.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

MMMmmmm... Donuts....
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
              X