Allowing developers to install softwares withous admin previleages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allowing developers to install softwares withous admin previleages

We have few development machines where developers should have software installation and configuration previleages on the system. but as per microsoft link -
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa302367.aspx
    I do not want developers to have administrative previleages on the system.

As suggested practise of runas feature helps at few times but developers need some freedom.

As we had virus attack in april we do not want open windows IPC $share by developers domain users account adding to local administrator group.

Is there any other way to achive this that developers can setup/install and configure new softwares on local systems in windows 2003 domain with windows xp sp3 machines and domain user login. Developers may need to install other setup types than *.msi ( some java products) and also need previleages on the installed folder or files

Re: Allowing developers to install softwares withous admin previleages

My preference, having worked with more developers than I care to think about, is to either have a seperate Dev domain or a child Dev domain under the Forest Root. You can then grant developers permissions of a higher level there without allowing them admin rights to production systems.

Sadly developers generally have just enough knowledge to be dangerous for the most part, but locking down systems as tightly as I would like often leaves them unable to do their jobs properly. Treating them as a special case seems to work best IME.

The other option is to get a list of all programs they may need and publish them to an OU containing the developers workstations. Then they don't need admin rights to install as they are already approved by AD.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Re: Allowing developers to install softwares withous admin previleages

Limiting developers is just not practical. Either give them admin access or let them create their own virtual machines with full access.

Comment

Working...
      X