How to block facebook, etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to block facebook, etc

how can i block facebook, twitter, etc. i tried blockin it from my router. worked in the first few days. but users were able to bypass it thru unblocker sites. help

Re: unblock facebook, etc

Knowing what little we do about your setup...

Use a proxy. Or block them with your firewall. Or use something like OpenDNS. Or...

If you let us know some details about your system, maybe we can help you.

What are you using as the interface between your network and the Internet? Are you using AD or a similar management structure?

Whatever you do, ensure that your company's policy

a) allows you to do this
    b) makes it clear that users must not attempt to access these sites, nor must they attempt to bypass your restrictions

This is a politics issue more than a technical issue.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

yup, we're in a domain/active directory...
      internet -> dsl modem -> router ->switch ->pcs

windows 2003 server/xp clients

Comment

Ok, so my previous suggestions still stand...

Also, please can you take care when choosing your thread titles - your title asks a different question to your first post; the title asking to unblock, while the post asks how to block.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

sorry about that, my mistake, i was focused on the issue that users can unblock facebook. thanks for the observation

Comment

Originally posted by kinalas View Post
            yup, we're in a domain/active directory...
            internet -> dsl modem -> router ->switch ->pcs

windows 2003 server/xp clients
            That's still a little sparse on details. What I'd like to know is what type of firewall you have (if any) or are you just using the DSL modem or router's ACLs as the firewall. If you have a slightly more advanced firewall like a SonicWall or Checkpoint, there's plenty of options you can enact to block not just specific sites but categories. As Gforce suggested, using OpenDNS can be a cheap and easy way of doing that. Just make sure to block all DNS queries that are outbound to anything other than OpenDNS's two servers. Preferably, only your internal DCs would be querying OpenDNS as their forwarders and there would be a firewall rule that restricts all DNS queries from going outbound unless it's your DCs and also provided they're querying OpenDNS. All clients should point to the DCs.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Like the guys say get a proxy in.If you have ISA try GFI webfilter or go for something opensource like Squid and Dansguardian.

Comment

Re: How to block facebook, etc

We use either open dns, it stops social networking sites 100%, but only about 97% of the social networking site proxies.

We bought Trend Worry Free & it blocks both the social networking site AND proxies 100% success rate.

http://www.trendmicro.com.au/au/prod...ness-security/

Comment

Originally posted by mobius2011 View Post
                  100% success rate
                  Keep in mind that nothing is going to be 100% effective if the block lists aren't fully up to date. And in the case of anonymous proxies, which crop up pretty frequently, they will never be 100% up to date.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Websense does a great job combined with ISA server.
                    Although it might be a bit expensive.
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                    X