Group Policy Management Reset?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Policy Management Reset?

I have a windows 2008 active directory, and i'm having all kinds of problems with Policies that were crated by the former administrator. Is there anyway I can reset all the Policies to default in Active directory so I can set it up the way it should?

Thanks,

Re: Group Policy Management Reset?

Hi,

Try dcgpofix.exe /ignoreschema
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947053
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

this will set everything back to the defaults. I'm doing this in a live domain so I need to be sure this is'nt going to mess anything else up.

Comment

dcgpofix will revert the default GPOs to their default settings. It will not affect any other GPOs - you can delete those yourself.

This will only modify Group Policies, nothing else.

If you find it causes a problem, you can restore from the backup.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by DubOhio View Post
          this will set everything back to the defaults. I'm doing this in a live domain so I need to be sure this is'nt going to mess anything else up.
          Yes, that should set everything back to the defaults, which is what you asked originally!
          Before going down that route though, what exactly is going wrong?

Also, a couple of things,

Proceed at your own risk and
          Always make sure you have backups in case things don't go according to plan and you have to revert back.

Cheers
          Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I want to get rid of all these OU's and start fresh. Here is what i'm looking at. Issues i'm having are logon scrips not running for users. Some computer have RDP disabled, some computers are forced to standard desktop, and worst part is their not sorted correctly in the OU's them selfs.

Comment

Have you just started working there BTW?
              One of the most common mistakes made is when a new IT Admin starts and they decide that they want to start from scratch, which is fine if you understand thouroughly the setup and everything is well documented.
              If that's the case, I'd suggest you take some time to get familiar with the setup in there and tackle every issue separately, i'e the logon script issue. etc. Use the Group Policy Results Wizard to determine what policies are applied to which machine/ user.

HTH
              Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

While I would agree that the structure (ie, everything directly under the domain root) isn't ideal in my opinion, I would argue that it is useful to separate out computers (possibly) and users (likely) to this degree.

In any case, to remove OUs... just delete them, if you decide it is really necessary to start again - I am in full agreement with L4ndy's comments.

Can you speak to the previous administrator regarding why they set the system up this way?
                Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

The former admin was one of the people the recomended doing this to me. I can not contact him anymore. This network is not documented at all, and i'm trying to do this now. I was not going to reset the GPO's but i'm running in to more and more troubles, and I was hopeing this could resolve them, and I could start from scratch.

This is what I would like to todo.

1.) Put all users/computers in there respective default folders.
                  2.) Delete all OU's
                  3.) Reset all the policies to default
                  4.) Re-define the policies as I see fit.

Any insight on this would be great. I dont want to cause more trouble for myself but I would like to have things with some meaning, and uniformity to them.

Thanks,

Comment

That should be fine. If you can, spend some time planning your system so that it matches the company's requirements.

One idea might be to describe your planned structure to another admin and see if they can figure out without too much prompting why it was structured that way. Basically, plan and document your system so that another admin could take over tomorrow if necessary.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by DubOhio View Post
                      The former admin was one of the people the recomended doing this to me. I can not contact him anymore. This network is not documented at all, and i'm trying to do this now. I was not going to reset the GPO's but i'm running in to more and more troubles, and I was hopeing this could resolve them, and I could start from scratch.

This is what I would like to todo.

1.) Put all users/computers in there respective default folders.
                      2.) Delete all OU's
                      3.) Reset all the policies to default
                      4.) Re-define the policies as I see fit.

Any insight on this would be great. I dont want to cause more trouble for myself but I would like to have things with some meaning, and uniformity to them.

Thanks,
                      Sounds reasonable, but I'd tweak it slightly and change the order slightly too.

1. Document what ALL of the existing policies do.
                      2. Build your own OU structure to your requirements.
                      3. Define your policies as required.
                      4. Pilot 1-2 users or computers at a time.
                      5. Move all users and computers when you are happy that the pilot has gone successfully.

If you can't do all of these steps, I'd suggest do Number 1 at least before moving everything back to the default OUs. Without knowing what every policy does there's always a chance you'll end up with just as many issues and just as many unhappy users. I appreciate this will take more time, but I've personally never found time spent piloting things is time wasted.
                      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                      sigpic
                      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Is there a way i can get a list of all the current policies in place now?

Also once I do set everything back to default does that mean any setting that have been configured before well be set back to default on the client end, or will they stay the current setting till I change the GPO's again?

Comment

All of the GPOs are listed under "Group Policy Objects" in GPMC. If you click on them, the right-hand section of the window will show you where they are linked.

Once you reset the GPOs to their default settings, those settings will apply.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                          X