Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any free software to completely hide and password protect folders?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any free software to completely hide and password protect folders?

Any free software to completely hide and password protect folders?

I have some office data which is very confidential.

I know "WinAbility MySecretFolder" software can do this well. But, it is not a free software.

Could you please suggest me any free software like "WinAbility MySecretFolder".

Re: Any free software to completely hide and password protect folders?

What OS? What filesystem? What sort of environment? Is this data held on a PC, or a file server, or a pen drive, or... ?

Please give as much detail as possible when posting questions.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

NTFS file system.
      My PC is not in a network. But, other people use my PC whom I don't believe.
      The data is held on local hard disk.
      The data consists of different types of documents ( word, ppt, pdf..etc ).

Thank you.

Comment

Different usernames or the same username?
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

They are working on the same user account ( adminstrator ) that I've been working.

Actually, they used to work in a guest account. But, due to the limitations of the guest account they are working on the admin account now.

Thank you.

Comment

It doesn't take much to create different user accounts. Any particular reason why it hould just be one account?
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Give them different usernames and passwords, make sure you use a own username/password and encrypt the folder or so.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by bspkumar View Post
                Actually, they used to work in a guest account. But, due to the limitations of the guest account they are working on the admin account now.
                As has been pointed out, give them their own accounts.

Moving them from Guests to admins is a big elevation of privilieges - why do they need to be administrators rather than standard users? If necessary, you can modify individual filesystem or registry permissions to allow them to run legacy software. If permissions are set correctly then they won't be able to access files in your account.
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I am not familiar with modifying the file system and registry permissions. Do performing the following steps will protect the files? If, not, please explain me how to give registry permissions...etc

Thank you.

Steps :

1.Open up Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder that you wish to protect.
                  2.Right-click on it and choose "Properties."
                  3.Click on the "Advanced" button.
                  4.Under "Compress or Encrypt Attributes," check the box "Encrypt Contents to Secure Data." If you do not log on to your computer with a password, you will now be prompted for one.
                  5.Click "OK" twice and you will now be able to log off and log back in. You will be prompted for a password when trying to access the folder.

Comment

Just a warning for encrypting data
                    If this is a workgroup and you reset the password of the local user account you WILL lose access to your encrypted files unless you have taken steps to add a recovery agent first
                    will help with this

Can I recommend you stop and think hard about your requirements and get a good consultant to help you. The cost will be more than repaid the first time something goes wrong and you can recover gracefully
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                    X