Home Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Server

As a extra credit exercise I have constructed a home server to run a web site for my retirement community (somewhat like a newsletter).

The assignment is part of my Server 2008 R2 class at school.

I got my domain registered at Go Daddy,internet connection from Qwest,static IP from MSN and I am waiting for my "kit" to get here tomorrow to set it up.

My antivirus provider for my PC's (Cyberdefender) does not recommend their product for use on servers so I am asking who to use.

I will be using the Web Server role inside Server 2008 (IIS 7.5) and will have a router in the path from my modem that is dedicated only to the server.

My PC's are hooked up to Comcast as a ISP but Comcast does not give static IP's.

Any anti virus advice (like when to install the anti virus,before or after I configure the server in Server 2008?).

Also can anyone see any pit falls in my plan (like who I have selected to work with?

Does the Forum have a field dedicated to those who like to do home web site hosting? I want to put my questions in the right place. Many Forums get real touchy when you post a question in the wrong place,this is something I want to avoid. Thanks.

Re: Home Server

So actually you want to know which AV can run on Windows 2008?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Yes, If the only answer I recieve is what AV to run on Server 2008 R2 I would be very grateful.

If anyone cared to point out any pitfalls I may come across that would just be icing on the cake.

Rember my server is primairly a excercise to show I understand the complete Web Hosting process (from getting a domain to, Server Configuration,to a little web design) and of course the hardware side, but that turned out to be the easiest thing to understand. This is probably due to the low traffic I willl have and the low data storage demand.
      I don't want anyone to think I am getting others to do my homework for me,my Professor allows me to contact Forums for advice. He thinks it is good that I can show I know how to find answers rather than memorizing them.
      Thanks to all

Comment

I use AVG on my W2K8 servers.

I agree with your instructor. It's not possible for you (or any of us) to learn and know every possible niche of the IT world. While there are some who have a vast depth of knowledge, they too still need to look elsewhere for answers on occassion. The key is knowing where to find an answer, not neccessarily having the answer yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          I agree with your instructor. It's not possible for you (or any of us) to learn and know every possible niche of the IT world. While there are some who have a vast depth of knowledge, they too still need to look elsewhere for answers on occassion. The key is knowing where to find an answer, not neccessarily having the answer yourself.
          Exactly....

Comment

Except when taking Microsoft Exams, of course
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well I recieved my static IP's (had to buy a block of 8 ) pulled my domain out of parked status and assigned one of my IP's, configured Server 2008 R2 IIS with all info added a AV, Go Daddy said wait 24 hrs to complain that it doesn't work.

It really has been a great learning experience, now I must get busy on the actual web pages. Thanks for the help
              Last edited by biggles77; 12th September 2009, 06:24. Reason: Fix smile 8)

Comment

Keep us posted on your progress and don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Comment

There's no reason to buy a static IP to run a small website at home.
                  ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Wired, Its so good to hear from you,it makes the world seem to not be so big.

As you could tell from my Corsair posts I am just feeling my way around. The more experienced I get the actions that I am taking that could be considered overkill will be dropped.

What I mean is after I get this thing up and running on static IP's I will pursure the ways to cut costs and do everything cheaper,its just now I am using a big hammer on my project when small surgical tools would suffice.

Just spent a bunch of time (about 3hrs) with both Qwest and TRENDnet (makes my router). We could not get access while using the static IP's.

It turned out we left the modem ( a M1000 provided by Qwest) set up with my block of 8 static IP's and set the router to dynamic configuration.

It was explained the router will get the static IP's from the modem and it is not required to set both to contain the entire static block.

At this point I can say it works but I would appreciate input on the way we had to configure things just to get connectivity. Thanks to all

Comment

In the actiontec M1000, on the "WAN IP Address" page, did you select the "VIP Mode" checkbox? The modem itself doesn't have to "assign" the IPs to devices that are behind it. With VIP mode, it will assign a 192.168.x.x IP to a DHCP client but also will be able to handle machines that are statically given one of your public IP addresses. If I were you, I'd use an external switch on the network (ProCurve 1800-8G, maybe?), plug the external devices into that switch and assign IPs to them manually. You're home network would be using your router which would be plugged into the switch and assigned a static IP manually. The external web server would either be plugged into the external switch directly or behind another firewall (preferably). Etc. etc.

I have experience with the M1000. It's actually pretty good for what is essentially a home grade modem. It does QoS decently too. For instance, I have an IP phone system that is on one of my client's 5 extenral IPs. I QoS'd all voice traffic to the highest priority (basically, all traffic to and from that one external IP which is the phone system) and now I have no problems with jitter on remote IP phones even though we're using a relatively slow DSL line.
                      Wesley David
                      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                      -------------------------------
                      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Great info,I will check out using the switch. I did enable the "VIP" mode. Learning this stuff without a client on you is the way to go,when I get tired modifying or configuring I just shut down. This is a option I will not have come employment time. Thank you

The public address assignment and devive IP assignment theory of operation is getting clearer but I have a long way.

My Server 2008 instructor tells us we will not become competent unless we use this software at home in some aspect and experiment.

We all get free OS's from the deal the college made with Microsoft, it takes a little of the finiancial strain off.

I dont expect any forum members to make me a step by step list of how to do things,it is good you make me sweat a little.

Comment

Don't forget that most, if not all, of Microsoft's client, server, and productivity software is available as time limited trials for download. Build yourself a virtual host, download some trial software, and experiment until you're blue in the face.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                            Don't forget that most, if not all, of Microsoft's client, server, and productivity software is available as time limited trials for download. Build yourself a virtual host, download some trial software, and experiment until you're blue in the face.
                            That would explain the pallor of your avatar.

Originally posted by Pccstudent View Post
                            We all get free OS's from the deal the college made with Microsoft, it takes a little of the finiancial strain off.
                            Great deal! I got the same deal when I went through a several month long Microsoft administration class a few years back. Ask your instructor about the licenses though. If I'm not mistaken, they're probably educational licenses and aren't fit for production use. Maybe he got a different deal though.
                            Wesley David
                            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                            -------------------------------
                            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Here's the part of me you don't usually see:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X