Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Av for my setup

Hello

i have a server running server 2003r2 which holds all of my pc's aplication folders like office, Adobe and etc..

as well the server holds all our back-ups from all of the other pc's which is then backed up to multiple devices every night

which is the best anti-virus to run ?

i want something not to expensive because or company doesnt have that much money at the moment.

Please help

Ajw901
    Last edited by ajw901; 9th August 2009, 14:25.

Re: Best Av for my setup

Look at independant ratings such as those by Virus Bulletin. NOD32 seems to be generally regarded as the "most effective" - avoid referring to products as being "best". It also has a very small system footprint.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: Best Anti-Virus for my network

Originally posted by ajw901 View Post
      i want something not to expensive because or company doesnt have that much money at the moment.
      IMHO a very bad way of thinking with any security product
      Spend the money you need to get the product that you need

If you don't, the cost when you get attacked WILL be much higher than any saving
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I second what Ossian said, going for the cheapest option is rarely a good idea. Consider what features you need before making a decision.

I do not have a high opinion of NOD32 personally, their support is heavily advertised as being based in the country of purchase, but is purely for usage queries. Anything technical goes to the developers. Also one of customers who uses it has disk space issues with NOD32 leaving temp files all over the place, and has had issues in the past with Server 2008 NLA not working when NOD32 is installed.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Both of those issues are now fixed with the latest version.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            Both of those issues are now fixed with the latest version.
            Must tell them that next time I'm there. They are very unhappy with the support though, the guy that sold them it really pushed the local support aspect, whether through ignorance or omission, and any issue more than "How do I do such an such?" has to go to the developers apparently.

The main reason they bought it was that it was the cheapest product though.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

With your setup I will recomend you AVG or kaspersky. Both products are good.
              Last edited by Dumber; 10th August 2009, 16:53. Reason: not working url removed...

Comment

Nod32 has the potentional to be just as destructive to your server as a virus.

Comment

The same is true of any antivirus product if it's configured badly. When our sister company moved to Kaspersky it crippled the system for the first few days, after which they opted to run without AV until another solution could be found.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

As per my review, I suggest you to use Norton Antivirus 2009 and AVG 10. I think that you should use any one of them and both are also good for your setup.Use it. Hope, any one of them may satisfy your need.

Comment

Originally posted by ingridseynhaeve View Post
                      As per my review, I suggest you to use Norton Antivirus 2009 and AVG 10
                      I'm pretty sure both of those manufacturers tell you to disable all other resident antivirus protection before installing their product...
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by ingridseynhaeve View Post
                        As per my review, I suggest you to use Norton Antivirus 2009 and AVG 10. I think that you should use any one of them and both are also good for your setup.Use it. Hope, any one of them may satisfy your need.
                        Why would you use 2 av products on the same machine???

OP,

We currently have 2 AV products running in our enviornment, McAfee ePO 4.5 for clients and Trend Server Protect for servers.

We also have AV scanning on our switches and on our firewall devices.

Comment

Re: Best Anti-Virus for my network

Originally posted by ajw901 View Post
                          Hello

i have a server running server 2003r2 which holds all of my pc's aplication folders like office, Adobe and etc..

as well the server holds all our back-ups from all of the other pc's which is then backed up to multiple devices every night

which is the best anti-virus to run ?

Please help

Ajw901
                          Is this AV solution for one server or server and clients? If t is for Clients as well, it is important to get a solution that will manage the roll out of definition updates and notify you when a machine is infected. Ideally, an AV solution that also scans for spyware.

We use Mcafee VirusScan in conjunction with epolicy orchestrator and opt in for Gold Support. Initially, it is not the cheapest of solutions but long term, renewal is much cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                          X