How to block torrent applications

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to block torrent applications

Are there any desktop level softwares which can help me here? I don't use proxy (and I can not).

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Re: How to block torrent applications

Blocking the ports on a Firewall may help.

Comment

As we all already aware..torrent softwares uses random ports and in worse case they will make use of port 80. Bittorrent has some more intelligence. So, blocking at firewall is not a good option. If we can have something at desktop level ..that really helps me.

Comment

I tend to block all Ports on the Firewall and only allow for specific applications. It will cetainly help.

Know what your saying though.

If you know specific software, you can use Software Restriction Policies. We block Torrent sites using a SonicWall but is not the local way you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
          Blocking the ports on a Firewall may help.
          Probaby wont because most torrent clients deliberatly use random ports. Depending on the firewall you use only the ports required outbound-NAT rule for whatever services you have in your network (DNS server 53, Web 80/443 outbound for all clients etc) should be allowed out. Everything else not required should be blocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
            I tend to block all Ports on the Firewall and only allow for specific applications. It will cetainly help.

Know what your saying though.

If you know specific software, you can use Software Restriction Policies. We block Torrent sites using a SonicWall but is not the local way you are looking for.
            Sonicwalls are capable of deep packet inspection. That being said the default rule on a Sonicwall is to allow all traffic outbound. You would have to modify your NAT rules accordingly as you have done to prevent traffic leaving the Firewall on specified ports.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
              Sonicwalls are capable of deep packet inspection. That being said the default rule on a Sonicwall is to allow all traffic outbound. You would have to modify your NAT rules accordingly as you have done to prevent traffic leaving the Firewall on specified ports.
              My comment was regarding a local Firewall. I just use the SonicWall for filtering for other bogus software.

Comment

Originally posted by charlsteve View Post
                Are there any desktop level softwares which can help me here? I don't use proxy (and I can not).

Let me know if you have any suggestions.
                Are you in a Windows Domain? If so turning on the client firewalls via GPO and also using restricted groups to ensure that users are not administrators should prevent any future installations. That still leaves current installations where the software can run through port 80 though.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Can't you create a Hash of the executable and then block that from running?
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Building on cruachan's suggestion, you could try managing firewall policies via GPOs and then block certain application's executables from traversing the client PC's software firewall (you'd have to include multiple exe's of the culprit apps... kazaa, eMule, etc.). Of course, the best method in all of this is to remove admin privs from the users to keep them from installing software, but you already know that. The world would be a better place if we could just get all of our users to run as users. If only management would back us up more often... *sigh*
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                    -------------------------------
                    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Personally i'd be creating a policy that dictates to users that they must NOT under any circumstances use any torrent software for internet downloads.

Then i'd get a full audit done on peoples machiens and remove any torrent software from them.

After i'd finished doing that i'd ensure that all users on the network were using non-admin/power user accounts.

Hopefuylly once that was done the first person that got caught using torrents would be serverley dealt with by management.

BTW what type of firewall do you have at your sites???

Comment

torrent seed files are now being encoded into images. Yet another thing to block. Also don't forget that the web browser Opera has a torrent component.
                        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                        X