Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need to run both antivurs and antispyware software?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to run both antivurs and antispyware software?

I genarally use Norton Internet security or Panda Internet Security suite.

Do I still need to run antispyware/malware software like Spybot search and destroy,

Malwarebyte.....etc? ( Bcz, internet security suite have identified the infected files but,

not disinfected )

Do antivirus software can't deal with the spyware?

If you don't mind, please provide me any security guide.

Thank you for your time.

Re: need to run both antivurs and antispyware software?

Stop creating duplicate threads for the same issue. Read the forum rules.

Comment

Actually, it is not about the same issue.

I used to run both Norton Internet security and Spybot search & destroy.

But, I have uninstalled Spybot few days back due to slow performance of the system.

Some people say that antivirus and antispyware are different and some people say they are both same. I would like to know the fact.

Thank you.

Comment

It depends on the product. Most products today are considered "suites" and contain several anti-malware components such as antivirus, antispyware, antispam, firewall, etc. Your best bet is to research the products you're interested in at the vendor's web sites and see what components their products include.

Comment

Originally posted by bspkumar View Post

Some people say that antivirus and antispyware are different and some people say they are both same. I would like to know the fact.
          This is what microsoft thinks. Well roughly :
          http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...ifference.mspx

However i would think twice about their suggestion on how to protect.
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by bspkumar View Post
            Actually, it is not about the same issue.

I used to run both Norton Internet security and Spybot search & destroy.

But, I have uninstalled Spybot few days back due to slow performance of the system.

Thank you.
            Thats a bit of semantic debate. Your question was related to "Malwarebyte.....etc? ( Bcz, internet security suite have identified the infected files but,

not disinfected )"

Anyway AV and Antispyware are not the same in principle. But these days that is a rather blurred line as malware often contains elements of spyware, virus's (usually Trojans that report back home some with their own SMTP engines etc) and as a result a combination of suites are neccesary for overall protection.

Comment

Thank you all.

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                This is what microsoft thinks. Well roughly :
                http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...ifference.mspx

However i would think twice about their suggestion on how to protect.
                L4ndy,

You might think twice about their security products...
                http://blogs.technet.com/rhalbheer/a...-security.aspx
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                  L4ndy,

You might think twice about their security products...
                  http://blogs.technet.com/rhalbheer/a...-security.aspx
                  I was mostly referring to this statement actually "To help protect against spyware, try Windows Defender"
                  It should be try a few actually and I am not sure how W Defender is performing now (Not very well based on the reviews) but since I had a bad start initially with it I washed my hands. Also remember its predecessor Windows AntiSpyware

And also OneLive care or LiveOne care was announced that it'll be ceased in ... Wait for it .... June 2009.
                  and replaced with MSE.

My point is that MS are only starting to take Security seriously (especially at the host level) in the last few years and they have got the potential to make a solid product (which I hope the have done with MSE codenamed "Morro") but they have been dragging their heels.
                  Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

A bit but Windows Defender used to detect Gator (I think) as Spyware. MS purchased Gator and suddenly Defender didn't detect it anymore. Can't say much for their integrity.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                      A bit but Windows Defender used to detect Gator (I think) as Spyware. MS purchased Gator and suddenly Defender didn't detect it anymore. Can't say much for their integrity.
                      I remember that. If i recall correctly Gator was an advertising tool that montiored your web and sage habits and notified you accordingly. Matters not a jot as i dont use Windows Defender nor the previous suite that MS bought (cant recall its name) and im not a fan of any of their antispyware products. Il be interested to see how there new AV suite unravels. I believe its an extraction of Windows live Onecare.

Comment

L4ndy,

Of course I understand what your saying however if I remember Mcafee 4.5 on NT it was also a horrible bluescreen creator At the moment I still think it's a hack of a virusscanner although they made a little mistake a couple days ago... Not supporting an old end of support engine in their dat file...
                        I hope that will learn them not updating their engine

However, I still think Microsoft is starting to find the correct way and I do think that we can expect a lot of Microsoft in the next years.
                        The point what I'm trying to make is that for example yes Windows 95/98 and so on wheren't the most secure clients.... However if I look at Windows 7, 2008, TMG, NAP etc I really think they are improving their products.
                        And yes, I know Windows Defender wasn't the best product and Windows Live onecare wasn't a bestseller either... But I'm sure Microsoft has learned about it and why wouldn't day. I think the total Forefront Suite is also a nice product. However I haven't used it a lot... But I think it has a nice potential...

Oh well, personally I rather use my Macbook Pro and Linux in my private environment.. And still I don't have an Iphone...

@biggles.. LOL yes I know about the Gator crap back then... Damn that was a horrible scam.... However I do think that MS don't make this mistake again
                        I think that Microsoft has learned a lot since they bought Antigen. Antigen was a hell of a Antivirus product for Exchange and why not using their knowledge for their next products...

Damn, I sound like the devil's advocate..
                        Anyhow I really think that MS is starting to make some major steps in their security products and the document shows also that I'm not the only one
                        You know what.... all switch to apple.. Ohhh wait.. don't do that or else I've to find an antivirus product for my apple notebook
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel
                          all switch to apple.. Ohhh wait.. don't do that or else I've to find an antivirus product for my apple notebook
                          Ooops, too late. 10.5.x has a couple of know holes (maybe crevasses is a better word ) that Apple haven't fixed but are being exploited by the bad guys. Expect more of the expected.

I think we have now gone way and perhaps should split this off to a new thread. It has however been an interesting and enlightening discussion.

Oh yes, get an iPhone 32 3G S or Steve Jobs will come and confiscate your MacBook.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I like your style Dumber, great balance. Excpect some browne points from both MS and Apple

Sent from my wife's iPhone (didn't have the patience to wait for the 32s a couple of months ago Agrrr)
                            Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                            X