iPhones on the work wLAN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhones on the work wLAN

More of a "what do you do?" or policy questions really.

I've got a remote office with a PC admin onsite who is first point of contact and responsible for the PCs and basic network (ie: wifi key etc). They've recently complained of a drop in network performance which I'm looking into but in the process of checking the DHCP late friday night (life? what life?) I spotted a few entries for kit we don't have ..... including "Bobs-iPhone". I spoke to my senior admin who looks after that region and was just about to tear him a new one when he mentioned that PC admin had been warned about this in the past.

SO the question is - what do I do? ignore it (not happening BTW)? involve senior management / disciplinary? fly up there and remove the iPhones with the liberal application of a lump hammer? Same approach with the admin's admin account?
    This message represents the official view of the voices in my head

Re: iPhones on the work wLAN

How about MAC filtering on the WiFi
    That will P*** off "Bob" mightily
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      How about MAC filtering on the WiFi
      That will P*** off "Bob" mightily
      Oh, I like that!!

I think that'll be my first step followed by talking to the head of IT whilst ordering a lump hammer.

Comment

MAC filtering will certainly work, although I'm a big advocate of 802.1x authentication for WiFi wherever possible. If you already have an internal PKI it's a simple matter to ensure that all authorised kit has a computer certificate, and if it doesn't it can't connect.

A subtle reminder of company policies on connecting unauthorised kit to the network may be in order too. At a company we support they send their IT policies to all staff once a quarter so no-one can invoke the "I didn't know" clause.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

We've got all access points with WPA on them at the very least at present if not in their own DMZ. This one though is only WPA protected and guess who looks after the key up there?

The reminder is a nice touch. I'll add that on to my list.

Comment

Working...
          X