Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISA 2006 with 2 NICs

Hi everyone

We have a Windows Server environment that is connected to the internet through a Windows Server 2003 box with ISA 2006 installed. Because of slow bandwidth speeds we will be installing a second ADSL line soon, and I was wondering if it's possible to use ISA to route certain traffic (mail, browsing) through one NIC and then other (Skype) through the other one.

How would I configure my network connections to have 2 WAN connections, and how would I configure ISA to split the traffic?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Gustav

Re: ISA 2006 with 2 NICs

Nope, thi is not possible with ISA 2006.
    Wait for TMG (Q4 this year and currently in Beta 3) or upgrade your current ADSL Line?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Hi Marcel

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know of any programmes that I can use to accomplish this?

Gustav

Comment

There are loads of routers that support WAN load balancing or failover, quite a few add-ons for ISA as well as I recall although none that are cheap. Simpy and you'll find loads of hits.

As Dumber says though, this functionality is going to be native in TMG and it'll be out in a few months by all accounts so it may be worth waiting. You can download BETA 3 now and see if it'll do what you need, check the sticky thread.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys!

TMG certainly looks like something to consider later on in the year,as I'm not too sure about implementing the beta on our environment just yet.

One option that I've been looking at is the Network Load Balancing features of ISA 2006. Although this wouldn't enable me to specify specific types of traffic over certain lines, it might at least split the traffic that is there over the 2 ADSL lines.

Any thoughts/ experiences in this regard?

Comment

NLB can't be used for 2 WAN connections unfortunately. It's primary use with ISA is for things like publishing a web server cluster, or for spreading the load across an array of caching ISA servers.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

OK maybe not that then.

How about network adapter teaming? If I install the other NIC and somehow get them teamed, wouldn't that be doing what I need?

Comment

Again, there is no way to do this With ISA 2006 (or Windows 2003).
                Go buy yourself a Vigor 2820 or something like that or wait for TMG.
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                X