Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSID Cloning itself?

I hope this is the rigth forum...

I had a client call me up to complain that since he tried adding an Xbox360 wirelessly to his network, its all gone tits up. So I go to visit to work it out and the most bizarre thing is happening.

I noticed that there was his SSID (lets call it "Home") and also another SSID called "Home<insert-random-foreign-letters>". Bu foreign letters I mean...something you would see if you were reading another language on your PC without the language pack.

Looking more closely I could see some other surrounding wireless networks had the same thing - their SSID, then the same SSID with the apended hyroglphics.

I established it was being broadcasted from his Belkin ADSL Wireless Router. I changed his channel from 11 to 6, scanned on the laptop, and BOTH networks changed channels to 6. Same again when setting to channel 1.

In the end I factory defaulted the router and set everything up from scratch. 1 SSID, and everything worked as it should.

I got a call today (3 days later) saying its now done the same thing but with 2 additonal SSID's...

I cant work out what is going on.

All I can see is the router is broadcasting this, as any channel changes are automatically aplied to every SSID. No special configuration on the Router, its just a basic Home office one.

Doesnt look to be router specific either as I can see other SSID's in the area who have the same symptom...

Any ideas? Searching for this on google is yielding nothing.

Thanks

Re: SSID Cloning itself?

replace it.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

You can also do this against an instance of a save set by using the SSID/Clone ID; to do that variant, request “-r name, ssid, cloneid”

Comment

Originally posted by hongman View Post
        I hope this is the rigth forum...

I had a client call me up to complain that since he tried adding an Xbox360 wirelessly to his network, its all gone tits up. So I go to visit to work it out and the most bizarre thing is happening.

I noticed that there was his SSID (lets call it "Home") and also another SSID called "Home<insert-random-foreign-letters>". Bu foreign letters I mean...something you would see if you were reading another language on your PC without the language pack.

Looking more closely I could see some other surrounding wireless networks had the same thing - their SSID, then the same SSID with the apended hyroglphics.

I established it was being broadcasted from his Belkin ADSL Wireless Router. I changed his channel from 11 to 6, scanned on the laptop, and BOTH networks changed channels to 6. Same again when setting to channel 1.

In the end I factory defaulted the router and set everything up from scratch. 1 SSID, and everything worked as it should.

I got a call today (3 days later) saying its now done the same thing but with 2 additonal SSID's...

I cant work out what is going on.

All I can see is the router is broadcasting this, as any channel changes are automatically aplied to every SSID. No special configuration on the Router, its just a basic Home office one.

Doesnt look to be router specific either as I can see other SSID's in the area who have the same symptom...

Any ideas? Searching for this on google is yielding nothing.

Thanks
        As tehcamel says that does sound like a faulty router. The radio is certainly on and broadcasting and SSID's do support ASCII characters although you may get weird results depending on the device in question and if someone is attemtping to mask there SSID. Try installing NetSumbler on a PC and seeing if the SSID is displayed correctly and ensure there on seperate channels. Cross talk can cause some odd behavior as the diffrences in the spectrum are merely a few Mhz apart.

Comment

Check to see if there is a firmware update available for the device.
          MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

I just came across this post and get it really informative.

Comment

Hi

Sorry for the lack of updates.

I looked and there was a firmware update for the device but no change.

Today I fitted a new Belkin ADSL Wireless Router and it all seems to work well...we shall see.

I did also download Netstumbler on my laptop but unfortunately my wlan card is not supported! I scanned the networks in the area manually today and there are like 6 networks all on channel 6, and 1 on channel 11.

I set the new router to 1 and it works, for now.

Funny SSID Names aside (there are still some being detected, on 4 seperate laptops) I showed the client hoe to check which channels each Wireless Network is on. I told him to check this if/when it next gooes down.

I have a theory that maybe there is another router somewhere nearby casing these problems, maybe hopping channels and screwing interference around.

Updates when they come...if none you can safely assume the new router fixed it!

Comment

Originally posted by hongman View Post
                Hi

Sorry for the lack of updates.

I looked and there was a firmware update for the device but no change.

Today I fitted a new Belkin ADSL Wireless Router and it all seems to work well...we shall see.

I did also download Netstumbler on my laptop but unfortunately my wlan card is not supported! I scanned the networks in the area manually today and there are like 6 networks all on channel 6, and 1 on channel 11.

I set the new router to 1 and it works, for now.

Funny SSID Names aside (there are still some being detected, on 4 seperate laptops) I showed the client hoe to check which channels each Wireless Network is on. I told him to check this if/when it next gooes down.

I have a theory that maybe there is another router somewhere nearby casing these problems, maybe hopping channels and screwing interference around.

Updates when they come...if none you can safely assume the new router fixed it!
                Good stuff looks like you have found your problem. If there all broadcasting on the same channel that will cause issues with cross talk so its best off as you have done to put them on a diffrent channel.

Comment

FYI some routers can have more than one SSID, e.g. http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WRT610N
                  ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

In case you are using Vista, you can install VistaStumbler on your machine. http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network...Stumbler.shtml
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X