Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewall replacement

Hello all,

A new member with a quick questions. I would like to replace Sonicwall 3060 firewall but I'm not sure what would be a great replacement.

Specs:

1100 users.
    Enterprise envir

All suggestions are welcome,

thank you,

Yzf

Re: Firewall replacement

Moved to General Security.
    What about ISA server (or Forefront TMG in near future), or Cisco ASA, or Juniper or Check Point?
    So what are the requirements?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Juniper!
      http://www.juniper.net/us/en/product...ty/ssg-series/

The SSG140 has similar specs to 3060 so you'll want to start with the SSG320

We really need specs to tell you more. Whats wrong with the 3060?

Comment

Originally posted by yzfr12002 View Post
        Hello all,

A new member with a quick questions. I would like to replace Sonicwall 3060 firewall but I'm not sure what would be a great replacement.

Specs:

1100 users.
        Enterprise envir

All suggestions are welcome,

thank you,

Yzf
        Have you been happy with the SonicWall? Is it lacking any features that you now want in a firewall?

Comment

Why the change??

We use a range of Sonicwall appliances here from TZ170, TZ190, 3060. 4060 and they do the job we expect them to do.

Comment

We need waaaaay more info to help you out. Things like, do you need VPN on the firewall, do you need reporting, intrusion detection, point to point VPN etc. and etc.. Tell us what your requirements list is (you did make one, didn't you? ) and we'll be better able to suggest products to you. Incidentally, the 3060 is what one of my workplaces uses (although I think we just switched to a 5000 series) and it never gave us any grief. But that's not saying much in your case since we know nothing of what you want out of it.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
              Why the change??

We use a range of Sonicwall appliances here from TZ170, TZ190, 3060. 4060 and they do the job we expect them to do.
              TZ170 190 210 are your SMB/Soho type devices. They all come with either standard or enhanced OS depending on what licenses and add ons you have bought. As the models go up you get more features appliance wise such as integrated SSL-VPN's for virtual office or hardware failover. This chap should look at the Sonicwall NSA E class series. The 3060 is an enterprise class firewall but the OS itself is fairly standard depending on the hardware constraints from one to the next. If i was him id stick with Sonicwall they do a fantastic,cheaper and far more comprehensive job than any Cisco equivalent and that includes PIX/ASA. Sonicwalls dont get enough love in the enterprise because people automatically think Cisco.
              Last edited by scurlaruntings; 23rd May 2009, 18:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                We need waaaaay more info to help you out. Things like, do you need VPN on the firewall, do you need reporting, intrusion detection, point to point VPN etc. and etc.. Tell us what your requirements list is (you did make one, didn't you? ) and we'll be better able to suggest products to you. Incidentally, the 3060 is what one of my workplaces uses (although I think we just switched to a 5000 series) and it never gave us any grief. But that's not saying much in your case since we know nothing of what you want out of it.
                Sonicwalls do that out of the box. Enhanced OS includes licenses for Viewpoint as well as a Global VPN client and box to box VPN capability. The UTM also includes IDS AV and email scanning at the gateway amongst a host of other security features.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
                  TZ170 190 210 are your SMB/Soho type devices. They all come with either standard or enhanced OS depending on what licenses and add ons you have bought. As the models go up you get more features appliance wise such as integrated SSL-VPN's for virtual office or hardware failover. This chap should look at the Sonicwall NSA E class series. The 3060 is an enterprise class firewall but the OS itself is fairly standard depending on the hardware constraints from one to the next. If i was him id stick with Sonicwall they do a fantastic,cheaper and far more comprehensive job than any Cisco equivalent and that includes PIX/ASA. Sonicwalls dont get enough love in the enterprise because people automatically think Cisco.
                  Don't know why you quoted me m8 because i already know what your telling me.

Comment

Working...
                  X