Risks with changing iusr service account

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risks with changing iusr service account

I just spent 90 minutes troubleshooting our WSUS implementation... clients were not able to report, getting error 401s.

I even tried reinstalling SUS.

End result: the web service needs 'anonymous' access enabled. in most normal situations, this is configured for the iusr_SERVER account.
    In ours, it was domain\ADMINISTRATOR

Dear God this worries me. I only identified it because we did a routine change of the DA password on the weekend.

Just out of interest, while I know this is a Very Bad Thing, and I have changed it to an appropriate account, what sort of issues could this cause ?

I'm assuming that if someone is able to find a flaw in the WSUS pages, say the ability to execute code, then it would execute as the DA account, is this correct ? (executes under the authority of the account running the site?)
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: Risks with changing iusr service account

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
    I'm assuming that if someone is able to find a flaw in the WSUS pages, say the ability to execute code, then it would execute as the DA account, is this correct ? (executes under the authority of the account running the site?)
    Even i assume what you say is correct. In the wake of this assumption, I recently changed the Anonymous access ID from an Domain ID to IUSR when we migrated off the existing server to a new one.

If using a domain ID with admin rights wouldn't enable the exploitation of the web-site, please someone throw some light on it.

Norbert

Comment

Re: Risks with changing iusr service account

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      I just spent 90 minutes troubleshooting our WSUS implementation... clients were not able to report, getting error 401s.

I even tried reinstalling SUS.

End result: the web service needs 'anonymous' access enabled. in most normal situations, this is configured for the iusr_SERVER account.
      In ours, it was domain\ADMINISTRATOR

Dear God this worries me. I only identified it because we did a routine change of the DA password on the weekend.

Just out of interest, while I know this is a Very Bad Thing, and I have changed it to an appropriate account, what sort of issues could this cause ?

Its sad how common this is. At my last place my boss setup all the SharePoint services to run as the DA. My current employer runs a heavily used intranet site as the DA...

The risks are as you say; if someone figured out a hole in IIS it would execute as the DA under some situtations.

Comment

Working...
      X