best enterprise AV solution?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best enterprise AV solution?

I need to compare all and choose an enterprise Antivirus solution, so,from enterprise users of these solutions, i want to help me to decide one. symantec, kaspersky, mcAfee etc. how did you choose one form all of these? What was the selection criteria they used? or simply Which one is best ?

thanks in advance for comments

Re: best enterprise AV solution?

"Best" is a very subjective term. Can you give us some more info on number of clients and servers, budget, requirements (such as Exchange/Email protection) etc?

One thing I have noticed is that the latest versions of Symantec and Microsoft Forefront Client Security are so resource hungry that they require a server of their own to run on. I believe that the MS product can be installed on an existing server but requires SQL 2005 Full Edition and can't run on Express or MSDE so that greatly increases the setup costs if you don't already have SQL.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by ekerbicer View Post
      I need to compare all and choose an enterprise Antivirus solution, so,from enterprise users of these solutions, i want to help me to decide one. symantec, kaspersky, mcAfee etc. how did you choose one form all of these? What was the selection criteria they used? or simply Which one is best ?

I always look for an Enterprise product solution that is suitable for Exchange, SQL database scanning for Sharepoint, can also scan for spyware and other malicious software and of course scan for viruses.This needs to be controlled from a central server and have the ability to push the agent and AV out from the central location.

I would opt for a solution that gives excellent support, allows email alerts should viruses be detected and that permits me to install all software updates as they come available.

I feel it is not right for me to mention what I use. It will depend on your personal preference and environment.

Hope this helps. It is also useful, if the AV provider will also give a free trial of the product with no restrictions.
      Last edited by Virtual; 10th March 2009, 23:36.

Comment

Don't forget to check MS forefront security.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by ekerbicer View Post

As the wiser members of our forum habitually point out, asking about the best AV solution will usually result in an avalanche of contradictory advice and anecdotes. Anyway, I find this topic interesting since I just spent a little more than a week researching AV products to replace a frustrating installation of AVG 7.5 on a small office network. My criteria was that it had to be a good AV engine (duh), have good central management, detect all types of malware including spyware, adware and rootkits and not kill my client PCs with hard drive activity.

I went to av-comparitives.org for most of my data. After chewing on the data for a while, I considered Kaspersky, ESET Nod32, G DATA and Avira. G DATA was eliminated quickly because of a scary lack of English support (they're German... which is cool, but I nicht sprechen de Deutch... or whatever ). Avira didn't impress me for reasons that I have forgotten. Nod32 and Kaspersky are two of the best engines on the market. I tried them out in a test environment. Nod32 was painful to deploy... and the management portion couldn't connect to a SQL Server 2005 machine using windows authentication () so I had to work around that. The Nod32 management console was nightmarishly complex and not something that I thought was worth investing time in for such a small office. I'd reconsider it if I had a few hundred PCs to manage though. Kaspersky's engine seemed to be the better of the two in the comparisons and the management console was simple and yet powerful. The client piece has a simple, clean interface as well. I can lock down the client portion of Kaspersky with a lot of granularity from the console. I'm not sure yet what the performance hit is though. Honestly, that concerned me least of all. I can always schedule it around the user's activities and the laptop users... well... there's a price to pay for that mobility.

So in the end Kaspersky BusinessSpace v 6.0 won out. The price was better than Nod32 as well. I'm installing the server console tomorrow and beginning the client deployment soon thereafter... as long as no more workstations suddenly and mysteriously bomb at POST, but that's another post.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Virtual's post reminded me: Kaspersky has an Exchange piece (I didn't get that, I'm using GFI MailDefense Suite) as well as a Linux client. I don't think it can do anything with SharePoint or SQL Server though.
          Last edited by Nonapeptide; 11th March 2009, 01:57.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Please user the SEARCH function on the Forums as this has been discussed in detail several times before.

Your question is like asking "what is the best car". There really is no definitive answer due to personal preferences, financial considerations and family numbers.

You mention "such a small office" but haven't mentioned the size. If you have 10 users then NOD32 and don't use any central management.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X