Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check Security status on workstations

hi everyone,

I am trying to find a nice and simple free program that knows to check and report :
    1) windows update status (as wsus)
    2) if specific programs are installed (AV and other security programs)

I would like to receive reports of the status and all that for free, is there any kind of soft that knows to do it ?
    I am not trying to quarantine the workstations, only check status.

thank you for helping,

Re: Check Security status on workstations

WSUS is always good if you have a server and preferably a domain, otherwise Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../cc184924.aspx

For AV you will need to go to the supplier of your product but most have a corporate monitoring tool of some sort
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you for the answer but :

WSUS is nice but only WSUS
      I need a complete solution for all my security software ... maybe I can use open soft for reporting (softwares ...).

Or maybe I need a "vpn quarrantine" soft (without using quarrantine - only reporting) ?

Comment

Where do the VPNs come into the picture?

Can you tell us a bit more about your network, for example, if you are using Server 2008, you have Network Access Protection available
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have recently been using a system called 'spiceworks' and have found it effective. e.g. 1 of its many features, inventories the network and then tells me what software is installed now, flags up when other software is installed and is customisable. It allows you to create reports, so you could report an antivirus definitions that are not up-to-date, make sure the spyware software you are using is present etc.

Worth a look.

As Ossian mentions, it depends on your setup. NAP is a good feature of Windows 2008 server that can be run in a reporting mode rather than used to quarantine clients. You then know what aren't compliant with thresholds you set and if quarantining was enforced, the computers that wouldn't be permitted access to the main network.

Comment

SpeceWorls is a really nice but simple product.

It answers my needs (out of WSUS but maybe there is someone but found a way to check that in the SpiceWorks community) but it is limited (no SQL db, not ver customizable).

For the moment it is the nest choice.

Thank you for helping, I'll "play" with the soft a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by hasdou View Post
              SpeceWorls is a really nice but simple product.

It answers my needs (out of WSUS but maybe there is someone but found a way to check that in the SpiceWorks community) but it is limited (no SQL db, not ver customizable).

For the moment it is the nest choice.

Thank you for helping, I'll "play" with the soft a little bit.
              I've only be using it myself for a couple of weeks and have found it very useful. You can use the reports feature to achieve your requirements. You may also need to allow the Spiceworks IP address to access domain machines through the firewall by using the 'Allow Remote Administration exception' and using a GPO to apply to all clients.

Comment

You don't have to allow the IP access like that. Used a special login w/ enough permissions for the network for ours.

Comment

I see. Thanks Wired. I will double check mine. My hos firewalls were blocking me receiving information through WMI etc. so I wasn't getting detailed information about software installed. How did you allow it through the host firewall? Perhaps yours was already set to allow. I also use a special account for the actual Spiceworks itself. I needed to allow the scan to retrieve the information it needs from the PCs.

This lists the ports that I needed to open. My method shown below achieves this.

http://community.spiceworks.com/help..._The_Scan_Work

BTW Hasdou, it mentions Windows hotfixes scanning in this particular document as well.
                  Last edited by Virtual; 12th March 2009, 10:11.

Comment

Working...
                  X