Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Symantec Hassles!

Greetings all...

On my server I am running Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0, with all client machines running the associated client versions. My problem is as follows:

When I arrived here I found that all of the client versions were extremely outdated (Aug 200, and forcing an "Update Content" command on the clients was unsuccessful. I tried various methods of getting them to update, including the so-called "*.jdb" method, using LiveUpdate administrator, and changing the Web Site location from Default Web Site in IIS. None of these have worked, and while changing the Web Site location in IIS I forgot to end the Symantec Endpoint Protection process. Now I cannot run the management console at all! I get no error messages, it simply does not start. Also, it starts up a process "javaw.exe", and the client machines do not indicate a connection to the server. Help, please??

Re: Symantec Hassles!

Have you checked that the Symantec related services have started? Have you tried restarting them depending on findings.

Comment

The other services all seem to run fine, it seems like it's the manager itself that won't run. I wish it would at least give me an error. Could it be because I deleted the contents of the original Web Site while the process was running?

Comment

Not entirely sure with Symantec Management Console but I know with Mcafee that the management console has t's own service is running. If that i stopped, the logon screen doesn't come up and i get authentication issues.

Comment

So how would I get it running again? The associated process is, I believe, semsvc.exe, but it also does not run.

Comment

Have you tried moving the website location back to default?

Comment

Yeah I re-created the virtual directories, having deleted them form Default as I stated before, but to no avail. Bear in mind I cannot even change Symantec's site to the new one on account of I can't access the manager.

Comment

I see. It seems to work differently to Mcafee so not sure what it could be. The act of moving your IIS website seems to have broken it as i am sure you realise.

Comment

Clearly, and your problem solving abilities are exceeded only by your ability to make insightful and intuitive diagnoses. Only kidding, you've been very helpful! Anyway I have no idea what to do. Restarting server did not help as I hoped it might, and as you can imagine it's not something I can do at every whim. Should I perhaps re-install the Server version of the antivirus? If so, can this be done without needing to re-install the client versions too?

Comment

Why don't you try uninstalling and reinstalling IIS and the management console?

Comment

I know I have used an older version of Symantec in the past and they connected to the server via a netbios name, so as long as the name of the server didn't change, they would automatically connect.

However, it will also depend on whether you have password protected the installation of Symantec on he client machines. I know that sometimes Symantec requests a password if trying to uninstall it on the client machine through Add/Remove programs. I would have thought that would maybe the biggest problem.

It may be that it will allow you to repair the current installation when running from the disk or looking in add/remove programs.

Comment

What I'd like to do is leave the clients be, as far as possible, and simply fix the problem from the server, from where I firmly believe it stems. But who knows exactly what it could be? This network is killing me... I hope you guys are going to continue being as helpful as you have been; I'm going to need it. I have been hired to administer a network of about 15 machines and have zero qualifications and essentially zero experience. Would you believe it?

Comment

Could place to start. In at the deep end.

I have heard mentioned before though that roles more customer facing should be 80% customer service and 20% technical knowledge/knowign where to look and resources to pull from.

You've come to the right place.

Furthermore, learn from your mistakes is a policy I have always adopted and be willing to take criticism. All of us have made mistakes, me being one of them. I learn new things every day, even from this forum and have people correct my posts, which is good. Without that invaluable input, that incorrect knowledge or lack of in some areas, will continue.

With you only having 15 clients I wouldn't worry too much. Reinstall at the server and get that functioning and then look to the clients.

BTW, I should have asked. What server OS and Client OS are you running?

Comment

Server 2003 Standard Edition, and all the clients are running XP Professional. I shall attempt a re-install of Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager in the morning and let you know how it goes. It's not as if I'm risking much, the program seems to be doing bugger-all as it stands.
                            Thanks again for the support (no pun intended)

Comment

Ok. Look forward to your post.

After reinstalling that, you could then reinstall the clients manually if you have to or generally, you can remove maybe via a GPO in AD by creating one yourself, or manually remove the AV and then roll out he client via Group Policy. I am sure Symantec will have guidance on this.

Comment

Working...
                              X