Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimenting the best position for a Network IDS

Hello all,

Please I am an MSc Student and wish to do my dissertation on Network Intrusion Detection Systems. I have found it a bit hard to decide on what aspect of the Network IDS I should work on considering the available time. At the moment my thought is in the direction of experimenting on the best position for a Network IDS in a network with regards to the position of the firewall. Can someone give me ideas on how to go about this, particularly how best to carry out this experiment.

Cheers!!!

Re: Experimenting the best position for a Network IDS

You could perhaps test it in a switched environment that will not give effectvie results. You could then look at the possibility of an IDS module builtin to a firewall as oppose to a separate system. Furthermore, you could look in to the possibility of using a firewall's management port, if any, to give more effective detection.

As I am sure you are aware, an IDS is not effective in switched environment. Woud it be best to use a host based IDS or network? With that in mind, the host's firewall may be a factor and/or the network Firewall.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X