Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• naming external dns records without giving too much information

hi there,
    I'm installing a new exchange 2007 server and I was wondering if anyone has any tips about what names to give it in our external dns zone.
    If I use mail or webmail, anyone who searches my dns zone will immediately see that it's a mail server. Any bot out there can easily determine that.
    The worst part is that I have to put autodiscover.myDomainName.com.au on my UCC SSL certificate. This basically tells anyone who wants to know that I'm running Exchange 2007.
    I'm trying to avoid this in a way that I would name my external servers by not calling them mail or vpn or whatever.
    I realize I can just come up with random names but was wondering if anyone has given this a though before and has a cool naming convention scheme.
    After all.. It has to be cool.
    Thanks,
    Tamir Doron
    Melbourne Australia

Re: naming external dns records without giving too much information

dave.domain.com

Everyone likes Dave.

Brits amongst us will get the reference to trigg.domain.com

Pick a naming scheme you like. Constellations, mythical heroes, diseases (my supervisor at a previous job got into a decent amount of trouble for naming the servers at a school after STDs...)
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hmm and then what?
      It's for webmail.. whohoooo others can find your site.
      Why do you care?
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
        Why do you care?
        What he said. It'll take half an hour, if that, for a crawler to find what subdomains you have setup. Focus on securing the services that those subdomains point to. If you use obscure names, you may get a queue of users outside your door who got confused, and electrifying door handles is probably against company policy.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I think I get the point. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Tamir

Comment

Working...
          X