Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to kill process by non-admin account?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to kill process by non-admin account?

In my server, there is my application that runs 24h/24h daily.
    But my application is not very stable, sometime it generates many temporary processes, so I have telnet to server with Administrator account and kill these processes.

I want to let the operators to monitor and repair this error by telnet also but with non-admin account for security reasons.

So how can I setup user right for this user to get availability kill processes of Administrator?

Thanks

Re: How to kill process by non-admin account?

On what operating system? Windows presumably, if you're using an account called Administrator.

Also, from where are your operators connecting to the server via Telnet? Are you aware that Telnet is a very insecure protocol and should generally only be used if more secure protocols are available?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yes, I use Windows 2003 in server. The operator telnets to server from a Windows station. It's secure because Firewall allows only connection from this station to server.
      Application in server runs as Administrator account.
      Operator telnets to server by User account

Comment

Originally posted by thang_ngo_2002 View Post
        It's secure because Firewall allows only connection from this station to server.
        No, Telnet is insecure because it transmits everything, including your username and password, in plaintext. Anybody can easily sniff the traffic and see your username and password, which is probably one of the reasons why you want to grant the privilege to non-admin users... but yes, Telnet over a LAN will reduce the risk somewhat.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yes, I use Telnet over LAN
          Now I just want to know how to setup user right for this user to get availability kill processes of Administrator

Comment

But my application is not very stable, sometime it generates many temporary processes, so I have telnet to server with Administrator account and kill these processes.

Not to be anal, but shouldn't you focus on fixing or replacing the unstable application instead of inventing work-arounds? The current approach sounds awfully like like treating a broken bone with painkillers.

-vP

Comment

Do you mean that nobody can kill administrator's processes except user in administrators group?

Comment

vonPryz means that your priority should be to fix the problems with your program (in your original post you describe it as "my program"), rather than in trying to find ways of working around the problems in it. If someone breaks a bone, you can give them painkillers, but the fact remains that they still have a broken bone that needs to be fixed.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Unfortunaterly, the error of program is not by my mistake, but by network, hardware, performance, so my program can not control except kill all temporary threads. Also I can't use schedule job to kill them because in normal case, these threads are userfull
                  Thanks

Comment

I also think that you should find the root cause of this problem and then fixing that.
                    Also a process which is started by an admin account or system cannot be killed with a regular user account.
                    The account should gain elivated rights before he can do that.
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I find find the root cause but now I can't resolve it fully.
                      Can I use an Admin user for telnet and kill, but using Group Policy Object (gpedit.msc) to limit maximum rights of this user?

Comment

Any problem could be fixed if you know the root cause.
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Does the software have to run as an administrator?
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                            Does the software have to run as an administrator?
                            Yes, it has to run in administrator session.
                            I understand fixing program is the best way but now it's difficult so that's why I create this topic to get help resolving by other ways.
                            Thanks

Comment

Your operators will need administrative priviliges to do what you want. Is the app running on a member server or a DC? If it's a member server you can make them local administrators rather than domain admins.

In any case, if you can't trust your operators with administrative privileges, then they shouldn't be granted access to the server at all.

I understand fixing program is the best way but now it's difficult so that's why I create this topic to get help resolving by other ways
                              The point is that by finding a workaround, you are *not* resolving the problem.
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X