Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator

Hi all,

I'm currently setting up McAfee ePolicy Ochestrator in a virtual environment for testing before rolling out to several school networks. Does anyone have or know of any guides on how to deploy the AV software? I believe I've set it all up correctly, deployed the agent to a workstation, created an AV package using Installation Designer and checked the package into the server. I've then set it to deply to the group where my workstation is and scheduled a time. However nothing seems to happen from then

Any ideas of what to check or maybe something obvious that I've missed?

Thanks

Re: McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator

good you posted here.
    did you configured the deployment rule..
    ePO is for me quite some time ago...
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Have you rebooted the workstation? Unless I'm mistaking it with another product, the time you have configured is the time of day when it will check for updates - the client is an MSI that gets pushed out to the machines.

Don't quote me on that though, I abandoned McAfee a long time ago and have never looked back.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
        good you posted here.
        did you configured the deployment rule..
        ePO is for me quite some time ago...
        Yep, I configured the rule for the group the workstation is in and then tried the rule for the workstation itself, neither made any difference.

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
        Have you rebooted the workstation? Unless I'm mistaking it with another product, the time you have configured is the time of day when it will check for updates - the client is an MSI that gets pushed out to the machines.

Don't quote me on that though, I abandoned McAfee a long time ago and have never looked back.
        Yeah I have. I've restarted both the workstation and server. I've changed the time so that it was half an hour away, restarted the workstation and then did an agent wakeup call. The server has a log of when the agent checked in and that was before the deploy task was due to start.

I know it's going to be something really trivial but it's just trying to track it down lol
        Last edited by gotenks1321; 20th November 2008, 08:54.

Comment

After setting the deployment rule, you have to send a agent wake-up call to the agent. But you have to push the epo client itself.

It would be nice to know, which product version we are talking about (3,5 3,6 or 4.0).
          [Powershell]
          Start-DayDream
          Set-Location Malibu Beach
          Get-Drink
          Lay-Back
          Start-Sleep
          Wake-Up!
          Resume-Service
          Write-Warning
          [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Killerbe View Post
            After setting the deployment rule, you have to send a agent wake-up call to the agent. But you have to push the epo client itself.

It would be nice to know, which product version we are talking about (3,5 3,6 or 4.0).
            Yep, I sent an agent wakeup call after setting the deployment rule and the server updates with the details of when the client last logged. By the epo client I take it you mean when you first add a workstation to the directory and send the agent out?

Sorry should have mentioned that. It's ePO version 3.6.1, VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i and Installation Designer 8.5.0. Server is running Win2k3 SP2 and the workstation is XP SP3.

Comment

Have you also enabled the rollout of the agent?
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

Have you also enabled the rollout of the agent?
                The agent is already rolled out to the workstation. I sent it manually by right clicking on the workstation in the directory and clicking 'deploy agent' and watched it install. It reports back every hour to the sever as well so I know it's communicating.

Thanks for all the help so far

Comment

Ok, then check out c:\document and settings\all users\mcafee\
                  Somewhere their you'll find a folder called DB which has some extensive logging.
                  Btw, Mcafee folder might also be called network associates. It depends a bit on the version but I don't know which one was which anymore.
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands

Comment

Ok, then check out c:\document and settings\all users\mcafee\
                    Somewhere their you'll find a folder called DB which has some extensive logging.
                    Btw, Mcafee folder might also be called network associates. It depends a bit on the version but I don't know which one was which anymore.
                    Thanks, I'll check that in a minute

I've just tried running the installer package I created and it came up with an error message stating that the ePO Agent must be version 3.6 or higher. Sounds rather strange to me as the ePO version I'm using is 3.6 so I thought the agent would be too Just deploying it again to see what happens.

Comment

I think I may have the answer now.

I presume you're using EPO 3.6.1. You'll need to download the EPO Agent V3.6 (EPO 3.6 comes with agent 3.55) from the McAfee website and install on EPO first (and all PCs). Vscan 8.5 will not install without it. Try serchinng the McAfee knowledge base using your error message and it should reveal all - it did for me. (McAfee support were not very helpfull!!!!)
                      Bloody stupid of McAfee to release ePO with agent 3.55, where's the sense in that Will try and download the latest version and report back.

Comment

IIRC Mcafee has a separate download available for an higher ePO agent.
                        I don't have a NAI code anymore otherwise I would look it up for you.
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands

Comment

IIRC Mcafee has a separate download available for an higher ePO agent.
                          I don't have a NAI code anymore otherwise I would look it up for you.
                          I can't seem to find it anywhere Our McAfee contract is with a higher support company and then won't give out any usernames or passwords so I can't login to the McAfee website directly So close yet so far

Comment

let them download the agent for you then
                            Marcel
                            Technical Consultant
                            Netherlands

Comment

let them download the agent for you then
                              Good idea, don't know if they will but can always drop them an email They're very slow when it comes to releasing patches as well, would be so much easier if we could do it ourselves but they get it at a much cheaper price as so many schools buy into it.

Thanks again for all the help

Comment

Working...
                              X