Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone recommend a free packet filter/firewall for Windows?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone recommend a free packet filter/firewall for Windows?

I'm setting up a computer outside the firewall, it's only used as a mid way storage between two sites. Only need to listen to two ipadresses and three ports. I'd like to drop everything else.

I'd love to do it with iptables but that's not available. I'd like a simple to the bone kind of application that simply drops everything... but all I can find is "intelligent" learning applications with bells, whistles and a snappy gui.

Anyone know a simple way to arrange this?

...........IP 1.1.1.1....IP 7.7.7.7....IP 2.2.2.2..........
    Site A ---> FW ===> Storage <=== FW --- Site B

Legend:
    ----- Unsecured LAN traffic
    === SSH tunneled traffic
    FW Firewall

Please please please say there is such an application!
    Last edited by Anders; 19th November 2008, 14:03.
    A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Re: Can someone recommend a free packet filter/firewall for Windows?

Going to check out the possibilities with ipsec policies in Windows. Creating drop all rules followed by trusted networks... then I'll port scan the sucker and see what happens.

Be right back.
    A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Comment

I don't really understand where you want to go to.
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

What you want is a DMZ.

Basically just setup your router or your firewall to create a DMZ where you will place your device. The DMZ can be controlled to your likens. You can allow or block anything you want depending on what you router or firewall allows

Comment

Working...
        X