Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yahoo Messenger, possible to block based on Username?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yahoo Messenger, possible to block based on Username?

Is it possible to block or allow users on Yahoo Messenger based on Username?

Re: Yahoo Messenger, possible to block based on Username?

I think you should tell a lot more about this that what you currently are doing.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

My initial conclusion from reading your (albeit obscure) post is that you want to prevent some users on your network from using Yahoo Messenger. Do you want to filter this based on their Yahoo username or their AD username?

If you are running AD, then ideally your users shouldn't be able to install Messenger, or anything else, without your intervention.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You could setup a group policy and apply it to the user...that's if you are running Active Directory.

The group policy would state that the particular user in question, would not be able run the Yahoo Messenger exe file.

Apply this to your domain or the OU the user is located in, then change the scope of the GPO to only apply to the user in question.

The GP is User Config/Admin Template/System/Don't Run Specificy Windows Applications.

You would want to accomplish this using GPMC.

That would probably be the easiest way to accomplish this, bearing you have AD installed.
        MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Working...
        X