Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am going to reinstall OS tomorrow;best way to protect my system?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am going to reinstall OS tomorrow;best way to protect my system?

I am going to reinstall OS tomorrow after facing many problems with malware and virus issues with internet ( Files are downloading automatically without my concern )

So, I request you to suggest steps I have to follow before installing and immediately after installing the OS .

( Best antivirus, best firewall,best adware..........etc )

You can suggest me anything to get rid of these malware issues.

Re: I am going to reinstall OS tomorrow;best way to protect my system?

The only way to be sure of getting rid of any problems is to backup files you can't afford to lose, format all of the volumes on your computer and then reinstall the operating system.

make sure that you keep your OS up to date.

As for firewalls, in my opinion if your computer is behind a broadband router with a firewall then the Windows Firewall is perfectly sufficient.

As for anti-virus and anti-malware, do some research. Look at the statistics. Personally I swear by Nod32 Business edition antivirus and Windows Defender, but don't just take my suggestion on that.

Keep in mind though, that if you don't take care when visiting websites, downloading content, installing software or opening ports in your firewall then even the best protection software available won't protect you for long. And as with the OS, make sure your definitions are kept up to date.

Use a decent web browser. Don't install software for the hell of it, particularly free trials or something that seems too good to be true.

As for backing up your data, ensure that you take regular bacups while your system is still healthy, and test them to make sure you can restore from them.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Stop downloading crap from the internet.

Seriuosly though i use the following software (All free i might add)

AVG Free Edition or Avast! Free Edition
      Zonealarm Basic or Comodo Firewall
      Spybot Search and Destry
      Adaware
      Javacools Spyware Blaster

I've never had a virus or malware intrusion on my system.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
        Your first suggestion suggests that common sense may be a large factor in that

Seriously though, wullieb1 is quite right. If a website is offering you a free download of Office (for example), then aside from the fact that it won't be legal and the consequences of that, they're clearly not making money from sales of the software - they have to fund their website some other way. Maybe it's that banner ad at the top of the page. On the other hand, maybe it's that trojan embedded in the installer you just downloaded.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I use windows firewall behind my netgear router, it's just easy and hardly even notice it.

AVG do a free antivirus that includes an antispyware module. I use it and like it.

Malware bytes Anti-malware is free and u should get that, spybot is free, and superantispyware(not free)

Firefox 3 for a browser,

When you have all your os installed and configured it's worth imaging it with ghost, or acronis.
          Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
          MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
            Malware bytes Anti-malware is free and u should get that
            Not saying I disagree, but other than personal opinion do you have stats to support the suggestion that it should be installed?
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Well I was at a customers site the other day and some guy had very nasty malware/virus called xp antivuris 2009 and no one there could remove it, also some random guy had the vundu thing, I ran malwarebytes and it removed everything, it was like magic.
              Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
              I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
              MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Malwarebytes is pretty good from my experience as well. Key thing is to mix things though. Have a local AV but use a web one from time to time. Spybot has been good for a while.
                I have the comodo firewall installed which I'm finding pretty good.
                Plus noscript in firefox.
                AdMuncher is a good tool, easy to block specific things too.
                cheers
                Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by bspkumar View Post
                  You can suggest me anything to get rid of these malware issues.
                  Run GEOS 1.2. I loved it and never had any problems with viruses. Of course, that was 15 years ago and I never did get a modem for my 286. That might have had something to do with it.

Seriously, another good tool to have in your Anti-Malware arsenal is Hijack-This. Yes, the web-site looks a little home-grown, but it's a legitimate tool. I actually think Trend-Micro somehow worked out a deal to have HJT branded with their logo. I'm not sure if there is an appreciable difference aside from the logo though. After HJT generates a report, submit it to the automated analyzer on hijackthis.de. There are also some forums on the web where 'experts' can look over it for you as well. BleepingComputer.com and CastleCops.com come to mind, but always search the forum and ask if it's okay to post a log before you go bombarding a new thread with 100 lines of gibberish.
                  Last edited by Nonapeptide; 4th November 2008, 15:07.
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                  -------------------------------
                  Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                  Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                  Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                  Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Didn't Trend buy the rights to it?
                    It used to be on merijn.org. I agree it is a great tool!
                    cheers
                    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Oh, and here's a little tip for you. Don't put "Hijack This" anywhere where a user can see it. It tends to cause them to freak out when they see something with the word "Hijack" in the title. I usually rename the shortcut 'HJT' just to prevent false-alarms. I have a share on the file server where the HJT executable is stored. I run HJT from the share while I'm at a client computer and then save that computer's log in a subfolder named after the computer. That way I have a record of the computer's woes. However, after I created the "Hijack This" share, it occurred to me that I should probably choose a less suspicious name lest I receive phone calls like "The file server has a hijack thing on it! AHHH!"
                      Wesley David
                      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                      -------------------------------
                      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Surely users are there to be screwed with?
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

Sorry bspkumar but I just have to know what A/V Wullie is using.

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                          Stop downloading crap from the internet.

Seriuosly though i use the following software (All free i might add)

AVG Free Edition or Avast! Free Edition
                          Zonealarm Basic or Comodo Firewall
                          Spybot Search and Destry
                          Adaware
                          Javacools Spyware Blaster

1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Ditto Malware Bytes. Very good. Would also suggest using it in conjunction with Spybot and Adaware.

And NEVER go online using an Administrator account!!!!

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
                            I use windows firewall behind my netgear router, it's just easy and hardly even notice it.

AVG do a free antivirus that includes an antispyware module. I use it and like it.

Malware bytes Anti-malware is free and u should get that, spybot is free, and superantispyware(not free)

Firefox 3 for a browser,

When you have all your os installed and configured it's worth imaging it with ghost, or acronis.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                              Sorry bspkumar but I just have to know what A/V Wullie is using.
                              Either AVG or Avast free versions bud.

Really depends on what i can be bothered installing.

Comment

Working...
                              X