Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if they hack my PC

Hi Guys,

I've been reading about how so many people get their identity stolen every year in the USA (it's like millions!!)

Anyway that got me really freaked out, and I use LogMeIn to access my home & business computers where ever I am in the world (I travel a lot). It's a great piece of software, but I hear that just using passwords isn't the most effective way of securing access.

I don't want someone looking at all my personal stuff on my computer, I have embarrassing pictures on there . But more seriously, I have confidential business documents that I would not want my competitors to get their hands on or to be in the public domain.

I don't want the hassle of changing my passwords all the time, I have so many, and I'm terrible at remembering them.

Please help, what can I do???

Re: What if they hack my PC

If you have XP pro a free solution may be to incoropate EFS, check it out.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307877 smart cards are another way of increasing security but may not be suitable in your case.

cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by sgrapelli View Post
      Anyway that got me really freaked out, and I use LogMeIn to access my home & business computers where ever I am in the world (I travel a lot). It's a great piece of software, but I hear that just using passwords isn't the most effective way of securing access.
      There's always multi-factor authentication. Passwords can be based on what you know (passphrase), what you have (smartcard), who you are (biometrics), or all of the above. You could opt for some of those types of authentication, but beware that even those oftentimes offer a false sense of security as poor implementations can be just as easily circumvented as a simple password.

Originally posted by sgrapelli View Post
      I don't want the hassle of changing my passwords all the time, I have so many, and I'm terrible at remembering them.
      I use KeePass as a place to store all of my passwords. The KeePass database is sufficiently secure for my needs. At the moment I proabbly have over one hundred usernames and passwords stored in my KeePass file. Anytime I want to remember the password for one of my plethora of Yahoo / GMail accounts I simple search my KeePass database for the username. There are plenty of other password safes out there so shop around, but I think KeePass is one of the best.

Of course, there's much more to securing passwords than simply choosing a complex one and storing it safely. There's matters of not using public wifi to log into an account (even secured logins have been fingerprinted and exploited), turning off your wireless network card in public, keeping a personal firewall turned on with proper access rules and warnings in place, etc. etc.. How secure you need to be determines how paranoid you become and how restricted your activites need to be.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

You have got to check the Functionality Vs Security balance.
        No system is totally secure unless standalone and completely isolated,locked up in a highly secured safe.
        But unfortunatelly this is not the case in the real world.
        There are measures you can take to minimise the risk, one of which is using a complicated password - Prevents Dictionary attacs
        Changing it regularely- minimises the risk of other password attacs.
        Also like Hazey said you can use encryption on your PC at home and make sure you have an up-to-date AntiVirus and AntiSpyware (maybe several of those).
        I haven't heard of any major Vulnerabilities with LogMeIn but keep your eyes open and patch up accordingly.

Take care
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

My company used to use tokens for a long time for multi-factor authentication. Now we have switched to a cheaper and free program called <removed by mod>. It works great with Logmein and provides 2-factor authentication.

Essentially, the second factor authentication uses your cellphone or landline to confirm if it's really you logging in through logmein.

Does anyone else have any experience using <removed by mod>? Would like to hear your thoughts as well.
          Last edited by Dumber; 9th September 2008, 21:20.

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
            complicated password - Prevents Dictionary attacs
            Changing it regularely- minimises the risk of other password attacs.
            This is good advice, but it still requires either a hard to remember password that you more than likely have to store somewhere (not that secure or just a hassle). Or it requires changing the password often which is also a hassle and would require a extra workload that I don't really want.

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
              There's always multi-factor authentication. Passwords can be based on what you know (passphrase), what you have (smartcard), who you are (biometrics), or all of the above.
              I can't use biometrics because that it too complicated and expensive a solution for what I am looking for. Smartcards or Security tokens are more inexpensive but they still require an extra workload which I don't really want. Also I think I will probably lose my Token generator if I have to carry it around.

Comment

Originally posted by JacoP View Post
                My company used to use tokens for a long time for multi-factor authentication. Now we have switched to a cheaper and free program called <removed by mod>. It works great with Logmein and provides 2-factor authentication.
                This is just what I was looking for!

It was easy to install, free to use with my LogMeIn software and it works great. It's even better than receiving a sms-passcode as it's faster (all you have to do it click the pound key) and it's more easily scalable for my business. Far easier to intergrate into my enterprise solutions as well.

I love having the peace of mind knowing that I will be alerted straight away through a device I always have with me that my passwords have been comprimised, deny the hacker entry and then secure my passwords again.

Check out more info here: <URL REMOVED BY MOD>
                Last edited by Dumber; 9th September 2008, 21:21.

Comment

Please dont bother with this spamming double act
                  User(s) banned
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                  X