Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to figure out what type of encryption was used...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to figure out what type of encryption was used...

I received a encrypted message from someone but I don't know where to start on how to decrypt it. They won't tell me what method they used. Is there some way for me to tell what encryption method he used? I got the hashes for all the encryption methods but I don't want to run a brute force attack on all these because it would take forever.

Here is part of the message:
    NzIgNjUgNmUgNmUgNj

I'd post the whole message but yea I can't cause I don't want anybody being able to decrypt it and read what it says.

Re: How to figure out what type of encryption was used...

Sorry, but this one has to be a very big no-no for me.

If you received the message legitimately, the sender should tell you the encryption used (unless it is a challenge) and you should have the relevant key (with PKI you will have the private key to unlock it)

If not, cracking encryption may be illegal, depending on where you are, and we would therefore be "aiding and abetting".

Does the message header not say what it is encrypted with -- PGP (IIRC) does.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
      I received a encrypted message from someone but I don't know where to start on how to decrypt it. They won't tell me what method they used. Is there some way for me to tell what encryption method he used? I got the hashes for all the encryption methods but I don't want to run a brute force attack on all these because it would take forever.

Here is part of the message:
      NzIgNjUgNmUgNmUgNj

I'd post the whole message but yea I can't cause I don't want anybody being able to decrypt it and read what it says.
      Your question is meaningless. If someone sends you an encrypted message it means that you have already exchanged keys in a signed message and the decryption is automatic in most email clients. Like the other Tom says, you are trying to crack a message you have intercepted and we cannot support that here.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

The message was not encrypted. It was just a plain message with some encrypted text in body. It was sent to me as a challenge. Its nothing illegal.

Its as if he gave me a message that was on a notepad document. But it was scrambled or encrypted.
        Last edited by bugmenot; 13th March 2008, 23:53.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
          Its nothing illegal.
          Neither is learning to fly.....

FWIW, this is a similar format to a PGP message, although there is normally a line that says "Encrpted with PGP". If so, good luck!
          Last edited by biggles77; 14th March 2008, 09:38. Reason: fixed quote
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X