ISA Server issues when using SMTP connections

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISA Server issues when using SMTP connections

Hello, since a couple of days I've been imposibilited to send mails larger than 800kb, the smaller mails work fine.

The connection seems to work fine, cause if I bypass the ISA server all mails are succesfully delivered.

I doble check cables and ethernet cards and all seems working just fine.
    I've an Microsoft ISA Sever 2004 working on a Windows 2003 entreprise server. The computer has neither software or hardware modifications recently.

Both POP and HTTP servicies works perfeclty, only the SMTP have problems.

Any clue on this?

Apologies for my spanglish.

Thanks

Re: ISA Server issues when using SMTP connections

I really can't believe it's ISA server. I'm pretty sure there is no setting in ISA to change it.
    Didn't you change the SMTP sending limit?

Oh here an article about exchange
    http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...-Messages.html
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Iīm almost sure that is a problem with a Windows 2003 server update.
      After accesing the WindowsUpdate.log and there are two updates from the day my SMTP problems begun. My question is, how can I identify these updates in the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS list?

WIDOSUPDATE.LOG:
      * Added update {E8000994-683B-43C4-B5F8-A9D7DF351590}.101 to search result

* Added update {5C23105E-2007-449D-B9C0-5F60735DF63B}.104 to search result

THANKS

Comment

Add / Removes program from Control Panel clearly shows you the updates and when was they installed.
        You mentioned that if the ISA is bypassed the email flow is working regardless the message size.
        Is ISA used as Smart host? Does it have activated the Message screener component ?
        Attached Files
        Regards,
        Csaba Papp
        MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
        Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

At least my windows doesnīt show the installation date instead the last access day is displayed.
          There is another way to identify and uninstall an update?

The Exchange server is located at the ISP. my ISA server only administrates the traffic on port 25, and itīs benn working fine since two years ago.

I realize that outgoing transmition mails only reach 80kb and then lost connection with the SMTP server.

There is any test or software to monitor the ISA server while the SMTP is working?

Thanks!

Comment

the fact that your ISP ISA server has been working fine for over 2 years that is not means that it could not be the source of the issue.
            I suggest you the following simple and logical test:

1. Temporary remove the email forwarding and try a direct delivery. Is your email server able to send large emails to Yahoo/Gmail?
            2. Configure an email client from your Internal network to use your ISP email server as the SMTP server. Try to send large emails.
            Regards,
            Csaba Papp
            MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
            Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

I don't know what happen with the hosting suppliers in Argentina. The ISA
              server is not the problem but the mail server of the hosting supplier.
              Unfortunately there is no way to make them realize that they have the
              problem, so I decided to use another SMTP server (the one of my ISP)
              I appreciate your collaboration and I want to apologize to be distrustful of
              a reliable ISA

Bye

Comment

Told you so
                (im busy with moving to my new house so sorry i was late to get back at you)
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                X