quick clarification about win2k3 and radius

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick clarification about win2k3 and radius

actually it's just some clarification about radius.

i'm looking to setup a radius server, but i'm not exactly sure how it works. from what i've read, i haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

i have a wireless router that will pass traffic through to this radius server for authentication.

the confusion is this, does the radius server have to have 2 NICs and behave like a gateway?

my assumption was along the lines of the wireless router looks to the radius server for authentication. it provides the authentication. the router knows to allow the traffic from the authenticated user to pass through into the network.

does it work either of these ways, or am i totally off?

Re: quick clarification about win2k3 and radius

In short, it works the way you assumed.... and more if you want.

For example, I setup my company's wireless network to use a RADIUS server for authentication and for VLAN assignment. Basically, when a request comes in it checks its policies to see if there's a match and then authenticates the user or computer and passes back information as well. In my case VLAN info.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
      In short, it works the way you assumed.... and more if you want.

For example, I setup my company's wireless network to use a RADIUS server for authentication and for VLAN assignment. Basically, when a request comes in it checks its policies to see if there's a match and then authenticates the user or computer and passes back information as well. In my case VLAN info.
      so the router acts as the gateway, and not the radius server?

Comment

Correct. RADIUS is there for AAA (authentication, authorization, and accounting)
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X