Most secure firewall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most secure firewall

Between Cisco, Sonicwall, and Watchguard which of these is the most secure and reaible firewall overall? Which is the most secure site to site and client vpn? We are putting in a branch office with under 20 users and I would like to install the Cisco ASA5505-firewall, I will be setting up a site to site vpn between main and branch office as well some people will use client vpn to access lan
    Any suggestions on a firewall

Thanks

Re: Most secure firewall

Hard to go wrong with Cisco.

They are so good that they will have a professional baseball field with their name on it.

http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2006/corp_111406.html
    Last edited by jasonboche; 18th April 2007, 17:49.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Great, that was the answer I was looking for. The ASA5505-firewall should work great for a small network?
      Cisco field...nice

Comment

if those are the only 3 choices, i also would go for th cisco ASA.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

if those are the only 3 choices,
          What other choices would you suggest for a small network?, will be using vpn's as well.

Comment

well problaby Check Point is to expensive as well as Microsoft ISA server.
            For client VPN with a ASA you need to install Cisco vpn client software on the clients.
            If you go for Check Point you need to install Securemote or secureclient.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

Thanks for the help

Comment

The most secure firewall is the off switch on the router. Can't beat that one.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  The most secure firewall is the off switch on the router. Can't beat that one.
                  Yeah I guess that's petty secure. But if you attach your network devices to the firewall in your car I heard absolutely nothing gets through! Haven't tested it though.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                  Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                  www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

The most secure firewall is the off switch on the router. Can't beat that one...
                    What if the hacker is inside the network...maybe works for the company

Comment

I am running the Sonicwall TZ170 at a few of my clients and can honestly say it is fantastic.

Very easy to work with and in conjunction with one of their SSLVPN boxes it offers a very affordable and secure portal based VPN solution.

Only down side is they don't have any established UK support.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                        well problaby Check Point is to expensive as well as Microsoft ISA server.
                        For client VPN with a ASA you need to install Cisco vpn client software on the clients.
                        If you go for Check Point you need to install Securemote or secureclient.
                        Just went through an install of SecuRemote on my PC to access a client site and I can report with severe bias that this is still the worst piece of software (next to NAV) out there today.

It sucked back during my first experience back in 2001 and the current version has not improved one bit. 3 installation attempts before it succeeded and then slow logons till I put the services to Manual plus a red DHCP error every 5 minutes until I actually hook up to the VPN.

I'm sorry but I have at least 3 other VPN solutions running on other machines and none give me this kind of client issue.

Oh, and the uninstall was a good as NAV too -- tons of left over references in the registry.
                        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.
                          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                            Just went through an install of SecuRemote on my PC to access a client site and I can report with severe bias that this is still the worst piece of software (next to NAV) out there today.

It sucked back during my first experience back in 2001 and the current version has not improved one bit. 3 installation attempts before it succeeded and then slow logons till I put the services to Manual plus a red DHCP error every 5 minutes until I actually hook up to the VPN.

I'm sorry but I have at least 3 other VPN solutions running on other machines and none give me this kind of client issue.

Oh, and the uninstall was a good as NAV too -- tons of left over references in the registry.
                            You should use SecureClient
                            A little better then SecuRemote, however, SecuRemote is free to use.
                            Marcel
                            Technical Consultant
                            Netherlands

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
                              Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.
                              No feelings involved. This is all scoreboard.

This was a clean, vanilla XP SP2 install (all patched up) w/ AV installed. From previous experiences I knew better than trying to install this on a loaded machine w/ other VPN software, etc. installed. And yes, I made sure I had the correct build for my OS and the customer's firewall / VPN rev (always the first issue w/ CheckPoint).

Had my McAfee VirusScan Enterprise and the XP SP2 firewall running during install. With either of those running, the installation would get to the 90% +/- point and then just hang. Haven't read the installation notes nor should I have to for "appliance" software such as this. If CheckPoint wants these services down, a simple dialog isn't all that much to ask, is it?

Commercial software (especially the end user portion) should, at a minimum, install easily, have no impact on the system when not in use, and uninstall cleanly. The troubles we saw in 2001 (as I recall) when CheckPoint's firewall port from WNT to W2K was relatively new proved so painful we considered pulling it from that project. Here we are 6 years later and the software quality still has issues.

If it walks like a duck...

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                              You should use SecureClient
                              A little better then SecuRemote, however, SecuRemote is free to use.
                              Better in what regard? Better packaged?

ZoneAlarm was a slick piece of software back in the day when I used it. I had hoped CheckPoint would merge some of those folks into their enterprise side. I certainly hope they don't go the other way.

@jeffaz: Do keep ease of installation / use in mind as the best technology may not be the best solution if your users and support staff have to spend extra energy making it work.
                              Last edited by rvalstar; 23rd April 2007, 09:30. Reason: Note to jeffaz
                              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                              X