No announcement yet.

Ping Command does not work

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ping Command does not work

1) When I use ping command then the reply is as "ping is not organized as an internal or external command" .
    I m connected with the server and login as local administrator.
    Plz help that how to enable this "ping" command.
    2) I m logged in as local administrator but I cannot see the security settings ,When I try to open it the following message comes"Windows cannot open the local policy database.The database you are attempting to open does not exist."So plz sir help me to use the security settings

1) Do you have TCP/IP installed? If you have, try reinstalling it.
    2) More details please. Server, workstation, operating system etc.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

See maybe the path in your environment settings got messed up. Add the %systemroot%\system32 to the path.

As for the security settings - what exactly are you trying to do?

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services

you should have a "path" setting that tells the OS to check other folders (directories) when running applications in DOS (command prompt) mode.

To check this, go to a Dos prompt (start>run>cmd) and type "set path".

This will show you the path you currently have set up.

Mine looks like this...

Path=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\Sys tem32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\GoldMine\Outlook\;"C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003\";C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\

The PING program is usually located in the Windows\system32 directory (maybe Winnt\system32 depending on OS your using).

If you have no path pointing to this directory, you wont be able to run the application unless your Dos prompt is pointed to this directory (you do a CD command to get to that directory level before running the application).

Another program to try is telnet, ipconfig, if these work, then your pointing to that directory, if ipconfig doesn't work but telnet does, then check your TCP settings, and maybe remove and re-install the protocal.

Regards, B.