Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Password Usage when Using both DSL Modem and Router?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password Usage when Using both DSL Modem and Router?

I am connected to the Web through a ZyXEL DSL Modem and a Linksys Wireless WRT54GS Router.

I have changed the default Password on the Linksys Router to a strong Password but the ZyXEL modem is still left on the factory default settings.

Is this OK as far as Security is concerned?

In order for this hookup to work , the ZyXEL modem has to be set to "bridge" mode in order for the telephone data to reach the Router.

Should I also change the ZyXELL Password ?

Re: Password Usage when Using both DSL Modem and Router?

Originally posted by thenoo View Post
    Should I also change the ZyXELL Password ?
    Ya, Hai, Da, Oui, Yes, most definately. NEVER leave a password at factory default. The idea of having a password is that it should only be known to you. Factory Default passwords are known to everyone (not literally everyone of course)

I have a mate who received some spam email. He ran a trace on it and tracked it to an IP in the UK. He discovered what modem was being used and typed:

admin
    admin

and behold, he was in the spammer's modem. Simple change of the factory password would have stopped that. Also see if you can change the Username as well. Billion allow that and you can disable the Admin username. Makes it just that little bit harder to get you.

Now go and change the password but DO NOT FORGET IT!
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well said biggles77, and just to add, a common practice here in the US anyway is to set the password to the serial number (twice if you like). Many new modems ship that way anyway.
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

[QUOTE=biggles77;64195]Ya, Hai, Da, Oui, Yes, most definately. NEVER leave a password at factory default.

Fair enough - I will do that now.

Its just that I thought that , in this case , when the DSL modem is merely acting as a "bridge" between the phone line and the strong password protected router that a strong password on the DSL modem would have been superfluous to requirements.

I can understand that the need for a change in password on the DSL modem would be essential if my PC connected directly from the phone line to the DSL modem as was the case before I introduced the wireless router and established the LAN between the d/t and my laptop.

However , its no big deal to give that a strong password also and I'll follow your advice here.

Thanks for the comments.

Comment

Working...
        X