Pt to Pt T1 security

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pt to Pt T1 security

My company is expanding to two locations. We are going to connect them with a Pt to Pt T1. This is my first time dealing with multiple locations.

Is it safe to assume that the line is secure or should it be treated as an untrusted medium? i.e. should I have a VPN tunnel over the link? What is the industry standard?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Re: Pt to Pt T1 security

Point to point T1 is inherently secure no need to secure further unless you do not trust the telco (no need to be paranoid)

However I must point out that a while a T1 is most reliable, two business class DSL links (with a VPN in between) may be faster (and cheaper) if available in your area. Though not as reliable, even though T1's go down too.....
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
      Point to point T1 is inherently secure no need to secure further unless you do not trust the telco (no need to be paranoid)
      That's what people were telling me but they wouldn't come right out and say it. They always seemed to hedge the question with "what kind of data are you going to be transferring", etc.

However I must point out that a while a T1 is most reliable, two business class DSL links (with a VPN in between) may be faster (and cheaper) if available in your area. Though not as reliable, even though T1's go down too.....
      I was hoping to do something like that but I need QOS.

Thanks.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
        That's what people were telling me but they wouldn't come right out and say it. They always seemed to hedge the question with "what kind of data are you going to be transferring", etc.
        Its true, your security should match the data needing to be secure, no need to overkill. Its a statistics game of: This is my data, now what are the chances someone else wants to steal it? thats your call

I was hoping to do something like that but I need QOS.
        Voice?
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
          Voice?
          Right on the money!
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...