Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• control internet traffic in a network

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me here. I have a network with 9 workstations and a server running on SBS 2003. All the workstations operate on Windows XP Pro. I have a router sitting in the front of all. In another word, all the internal network are connected to this router(DLINK DI-824VUP+) and this router is hooked up to a modem/router(Netcomm - NB1300 Plus 4) that allows broadband internet connection.

My question is if i'd like to be able to control the internet traffic from one centralised location, how do i do it? and where would i do it?. What i mean by the internet traffic is that to ensure that only a certain or trusted websites are allowed to go and surf by our internal users. I think this can be done but just unsure how to begin and doing it. Need your guidance on this.

Thank you in advance

Re: control internet traffic in a network

What version of SBS2003 do you have, basic or premium?
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Hi Lior_S,

Thank you for your reply.

Not sure what version it is? is there a way of finding it out?

Thank you in advance

Comment

Does it include ISA Server -- if so, its Premium
        If its Server + Exchange only, its Basic
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If its premium then ISA server is the way to go.

Some light bedtime reading for you

http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/default.mspx

Comment

Thank you All for your replies.

I think mine is the basic version one because i couldn't find the ISA server in there.
            Does this mean it's not feasible in my case?

Thank you in advance

Comment

Originally posted by associates View Post
              Thank you All for your replies.

I think mine is the basic version one because i couldn't find the ISA server in there.
              Does this mean it's not feasible in my case?

Thank you in advance
              I'm not too sure but i think you can upgrade to premium from basic.

I could be wrong though so please don't take this as gospel.

Or you could just buy ISA.

Comment

Since you do not have ISA, you will have to either buy it or an equivalent.
                Back to you original question.
                You will need to reconfigure your network so that all network traffic passes through the server before hitting the gateway. If you do not have already, put a second NIC in the server.
                The router will be connected to this server (only) and all other clients will use the server as the gateway. See here.

Then depending on whatever firewall you settle on, you will have to setup all the rules inbound and outbound.
                ISA obviously works best on an SBS box, any other option should be its own box.
                "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Would you like a cheap but effective solution? The Vigor Draytek 2800 series ADSL modem/router can either block the following sites... or it can allow the following sites.... so it will do what your post asks, I hope I understand you correctly.

It's also got some basic control over allowed site topics too, such as you can block "Glamour" and "Shopping" and a range of other topics. This needs a yearly subscription.

It all depends on how fine-tuned your needs are - for a network of that size, I would imagine their budget may not be very large, but anyway do look at the Vigor draytek 2800 at http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2800.html.

Edit: Oh, by the way, I only mention that particular router because I have used them a lot and reckon it can do the job - I don't want to appear to sell or appear to be promoting any particular product!
                  Last edited by PaulH; 12th February 2007, 18:10. Reason: don't want to get banned!
                  Best wishes,
                  PaulH.
                  MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Lior_s, nice suggestion, I will also try http://www.smoothwall.org...

Installing relevant mods to stock smoothie makes it superb firewall solution... And most important, it is free of charge...

All you need is a decent PC to run the Dansguardian and network protection mods...

Greetings,
                    Grega

Comment

Working...
                    X