Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Abuse Reporting

Hello all,

I have been getting unauthorized access attempts showing up on my security logs on w2k03 server. One NIC is global IP'd and goes through a netscreen 25. I can block out the yahoos after the fact but I'd like to also report them. Is there a central agency to report network abuse?

Regards,
    yellow_doh

Re: Network Abuse Reporting

Let's say there is an agency to report this stuff too -- IANA, Internic, ???. I'm a hacker sitting on an ADSL connection behind a multi-million user ISP. IANA will take the ISP's IP addresses away??? Force my account to be cancelled??? What are they going to do??? Follow the money. In other words, nothing is going to happen.

What do you have opened up on your firewall to be getting all these unauthorized access attempts? On which port(s) are these attempts occurring? How are you detecting the attempts? Frequency of attack? Impact to your operation?

You give way too little info for us to be of help.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the 411...really didn't think there was any agency. Just thought there might have been some co-ops being formed to address issues such as this.

Regards,
      yellow_doh

Comment

In the USA you can always report it to the FBI, but depending on the logs, there may be nothing they can do.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
          In the USA you can always report it to the FBI, but depending on the logs, there may be nothing they can do.
          Start complaining to the FBI and before you know it, you're on a "watch list".
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
            Start complaining to the FBI and before you know it, you're on a "watch list".
            Oh we're all on "watch lists" anymore! (shhh, Big Brother's listening!)
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Former professor of mine occasionally did computer forensics work for them. Met some of the FBI in the area in and around a computer forensics class I had, and they were a bit behind the times in certain areas lol.
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X