Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Problem

Hi All,
    I am having a problem w/ the security settings on my desktop computer. Here's the situation.I have a small home network my main desktop and my laptop are running win xp pro. I can see the laptop in network places on my desktop computer, however I cannot see the desktop computer in network places on my laptop. I have checked the workgroup name and its ok. I also cannot access the desktop computer w/ remote access software from work, it keeps asking for my password which i enter to no avail. I suspect there is some securty setting I am missing on my desktop computer which is limiting access, but I cannot figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    nnic

Is the firewall on the Desktop turned off?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

To my knowledge i don't even have a firewall other than the one in the netgear router , but both of these computers are behind the router so that would'nt matter would it? Is there any way i can check for other firewalls i may be unaware of?
      thanks
      nnic

Comment

Go to the Control Panel, right click the Local Area Connection properties tab and click Advanced. If the firewall option has a tick in it then remove it. Check both computers. Post back if it has no tick.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I checked both computers, neither firewall was checked off. Any other suggestions?
          Thanks
          nnic

Comment

Do you have the same user account and password on each system?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes I do have the same acct setup on both systems.If I am going to have to change the admin acct on one system, I am not exactly sure how to do that.

Comment

What are you wanting to change?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I changed the name of my admin acct on my desktop so it no longer has the identical acct name as my admin acct on my laptop. This solved one problem; I can now access my desktop w/ my remote access software. However the other problem still exists, namely; I cannot see the desktop computer in network places on my laptop, but I can see the laptop from my desktop computer.
                  nnic

Comment

Working...
                  X