What Hard Disk encryption do you use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Hard Disk encryption do you use?

I need to find good hard disk encryption software for windows and was wondering what everyone else out there uses.

Ideally I'd like to be able to encrypt entire disks, although I'm not sure how booting windows would work then. This is for both workstations and servers. If not boot partition, then at least data drives like d: and e:

Re: What Hard Disk encryption do you use?

The previous company I used to work for who had the government as a client used becrypt:

http://www.becrypt.com/home/index.php

This comprises of a USB type token and pin. After encrypting the laptop / desktop the token would have to be inserted and pin entered before the laptop would boot into the OS.

Ideal for laptops but maybe not for servers. In theory your servers should be in a secure location anyways...

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Here's a product a major IT vendor to the government uses:

http://www.guardianedge.com/products...Hard_Disk.html

Best of luck.
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

You should only encrypt sensitive data files. You should not encrypt program files or the Windows directory or any else that does not contain sensitive data. Encrypting everything would cause OS and programs' performance to be dramatically decreased.

Also, take into consideration whether your solution addresses moving files across the network and encrypting the data on a file server (if necessary).
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Some DOD contractors are required to encrypt the Full Monty. And no, it doesn't seem to impede performance to a noticeable extent.
          Cheers,

Rick

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
            Some DOD contractors are required to encrypt the Full Monty. And no, it doesn't seem to impede performance to a noticeable extent.
            Hmm, I guess I'm showing my ignorance.
            I know EFS will affect performance but seemingly others perform better. Thanks Rick.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Note "noticeable" is a <2x hit. Of course performance matters but on a laptop in the field, you're not expecting to boot at lightning speed. We're not running a large DB, Exchange server, or video processing on such a machine. Booting and MS Office run at acceptable speeds. And, no one can move the HD to another machine and hack it.
              Cheers,

Rick

Comment

We use Safeboot, can't fault it, and apparently it's never been compromised.

I've heard they put up a $50,000 prize if anyone cracks it, not sure how true that is but it sounds good !!

Topper
                * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

rings a bell. at the moment it looks like safeboot and truecrypt are at the top of the potential solutions list.

thanks

Comment

This is my first post on these forums, so I'd like to start off by saying hello.

I've been using TrueCrypt for quite some time and I highly recommend it. It is compatible with Windows and Linux, which is a great plus. My only gripe with TrueCrypt is that you need administrative privileges to use it.

Comment

This is my first post as well so hello to everyone.

At my company, we have deployed Safeguard Easy. So far, we haven't had any major issues. The only issue I recall was that several systems, the localadmin account for the encryption software was set to expire in 30 days rather than 6 months. We rolled out a quick hotfix from SGE and fixed the issue.

Brian

edit: grammar

Comment

Working...
                      X