Followed all instructions - Still cannot login

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Followed all instructions - Still cannot login

Hello, new to the forum but I'm desperate for help. A little different problem here, my dad's laptop that he got from work after he retired, and he passed away. I know his user name, but not his password. I'm not a computer expert, but I can usually follow instructions. It has Windows 2000 Professional and have tried changing the Administrative password with the tool, and then tried logging in recovery mode. It did not work.

Then I tried loginrecovery and got the administrator password.

I followed all the steps on your instructions for , "Forgot the Administrator's Password? - Reset Domain Admin Password in Windows 2000 AD" but get stuck here:

****When the login screen appears, hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and log in as "Administrator" with no password. This is the MACHINE Administrator account, and does not have the ability to modify anything specific involving the Active Directory information, although it can backup and restore the physical files which contain the AD databases******

When I try to login in with password I got, and "no password", I get, "The system cannot log you on now because the domain is not available".

I've spent 4-5 hours researching and following your instructions and I'm stuck.

Any suggestions? Thanks for anyone's help in advance.

Frustrated
    Dan

Re: Followed all instructions - Still cannot login

If the laptop has W2K Pro on it, why would you use the "Forgot the Administrator's Password? - Reset Domain Admin Password in Windows 2000 AD" article???

You need to logon locally, with the computer's LOCAL Administrator account, not the domain one, if at all it was ever a part of one. All the tools and methods specified will reset the LOCAL admin's password!
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
    X