Encrypted disk user PW recovery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encrypted disk user PW recovery?

My laptop uses Encryption Plus. I KNOW the encryption password, but changed my network not knowing the windows password was related to the domain it was originally on.

All the password recovery boot disks do not seem to work because the decryption only happens when booting form the hard disk.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Encrypted disk user PW recovery?

I do not know the software so this is only a thought I had. Download an evaluation copy of Windows 2003 Server and install it on a PC or maybe on Virtual PC2004. Set the domain up with the same name as you were on and make your user account and password the same. Join laptop to your temporary domain and see if you can recover the data.

Who knows it might work.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Interesting take. I will give it a shot.

So the laptop was originally connecting to domain: www.xxxxxxxx.com

I ran the network setup wizard and changed it to: HOME

So for the windows server I setup the group as HOME ? and implement the same user and password as I had before?

Comment

I would set it to whatever the domain was. After all, it is not going to be connecting to the Internet as that domain name, is it.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I plugged it back into the original domain, and it will not log in.

Comment

What original domain? The original original domain or the recreation of the original domain?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi utaengineer...

I'm guessing it won't help you but you could try the PW changers bundled with the bootCD described in this post: http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=9705

Sorry to interrupt the interesting conversation you have going in this thread :P

-ib
              Last edited by IanB; 4th September 2006, 03:10.

Comment

Ian, the tool listed on the page do not suck, at least not for what they're listed for. However, as in other technical cases, they might not solve 100% of the pwd issues. So listing the tool you've mentioned on that page will probably be of the best interest to all of us, but don't say that THAT is the ONLY tool that helps, because that is not true.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

99% of the PW changers I have used in the past have stopped working over the past 12-24 months and since I know nothing about them I have no idea how to go about figuring out why... maybe someone smarter can figure it out and make an informative post ^_^

Comment

Working...
                  X