some one of my smart children has installed an admin password

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some one of my smart children has installed an admin password

I have some teens that don't want me to see the content on our family laptop
    hp windows xp, but am uwilling to use the restore disc's because i will loose all my gaming info IE teamspeak and so on can you help me find the proper soft ware for this. I also have a fairly good working knowledge of the comp and it only has a cd/burner in this system

can any one help me do it the right way

[email protected]

Re: some one of my smart children has installed an admin password

also i don't know which download im looking for there are so many ideas? and i don't want to corrupt the files thank you for your time maybe some day i'll fix your tiolet for free

Comment

Is your user account an Administrator or normal user one?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

my account was just a regular account and they changed it to addmin and the system admin that you can get by useing the the f8 to get into safe mode is changed too

Comment

Have you tried some social engineering:
          Right, you're all grounded. Tell me the working password and I will consider ungrounding you this millenium Oh... forget about fast internet access until hell freezes over...

Maybe give them 30 minutes to remove any really dodgy content first (you can always use data recovery tools later )

Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Put a password on the laptop BIOS. Set it so it won't boot without it. Who needs the laptop more, you or them?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by DAVID SIMMONS
              I have some teens that don't want me to see the content on our family laptop
              hp windows xp, but am uwilling to use the restore disc's because i will loose all my gaming info IE teamspeak and so on can you help me find the proper soft ware for this. I also have a fairly good working knowledge of the comp and it only has a cd/burner in this system

can any one help me do it the right way

[email protected]
              None of your files is encrypted right? Did you already try the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor CD?

Comment

i have a hp pavilion lap top that has windows media edition and am still having problems getting to ascreen that will allow me to change the boot config i burned the cd for NT admin password recovery and i can't get it to boot from the cd ? any one could tell me how i would much appreciate it also the secondary admin has a password

Comment

First, how about trying to use some punctuation signs in your posts? It's getting harder and harder for us to read the whole post in one breath.

Second, you need to get to your computer's BIOS setup screen. Press DEL or F1 (or whatever it says you should press on the boot screen - right after you press the power button).
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

ok sorry about the spelling and stuff. I have tried to turn it on and can get it to go into safe mode, but when i try to turn it on and press esc like it says it beeps like it is going to go into bios . And then right back into the password log in screen never a bios screen so that i can tell it to boot from cd. sorry not very good with grammar i failed english class 25 yrs ago

Comment

ok I figured out the bios log in on this system and changed it to boot first. Then I put the cd in the drive and it still only comes up with the password log in screen and does not flicker or anything else ? not sure what other steps to take

just a reminder You are a gentle man and a scolar im just a man trying to raise some smart ass kids and the world is failing us. Thank you for your time and if there is any other way i can help you i will . David

Comment

We're happy to try to help, but remember that sometimes we cannot do it from that far away. It's sometimes more benefitial to all parties that the problem be solved by a local computer shop, it'll save you time, altough it will usually cost you some money.

As for your problem, do you know for 100% that the CD you've burned is indeed a bootable CD? Try to start the computer with ANY bootable CD that you know works, even if it's a Win98 one, just check it. If that one works then the CD you've burned is not bootable. You'll need to re-burn it, this time do it properly (is the downloaded file an ISO file?).
                        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hey thanks alot i finally got it to boot on my desk top. Now I need to know where or how to pay you for your ten minute services when I get the codes. Can you give me a link.

Comment

on my desk top comp i can get it to run but on the lap top it only comes up with the password log in screen and other ideas

Comment

Working...
                            X