Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep... another batch of stupid questions

I'll get right to it.

Acquired a new-to-me pc with a username/password that worked. I changed the Administrator/*previous PW* to ADMIN/*new PW*. While I was doing this, the sys tray shows an update being installed that, judging by the time it took to complete, was fairly large. The PC was NOT connected to the internet. I don't know if that is important. So I reboot when the update is finished and new username/new PW no workie. Old username/old PW no workie. Nothing. Guest account has been disabled. Locked.

Did some searching on the net, and found Nordahl's site. Tried my best to get his fix to work. 4 hours later, still locked. I know that I did everything correctly, I just don't have much dos/unix/linux experience so when I hit a snag I have to go learn some more. I'm sure that it's probably a really simple fix for someone with the right knowledge, but I'm probably going to format and install a fresh OS if you fine people can't help.

Sys specs: P4-2.8 proc....Asus P4p800 mobo....Hitachi 30gig scsi HD....Windows 2000 pro OS

So I make 4 floppies, 1 boot and 3 with scsi drivers, per Nordahl's directions. I can get into the DOS prog(?) and try to install the SCSI drivers, but I get this message: "insmod: can't read '/tmp/scsi/' ;Is a directory [ qla2xx.ko ]
    All drivers failed load
    "

71 drivers on 3 floppies and same message for every driver on each floppy. I noticed on Nordahl's site that the example he gives of his driver install shows driver names with .gz format. Mine are .ko. So I start to experiment and unplug the scsi cable and try the CD route, cause I'm taking shots in the dark, and that doesn't work. I can hear the sighing... Then I bang around in the case some more and reattach everything and try to boot from CD again and it boots up to this : [ DR-DOS ] A:\

I'm naively assuming that the floppy drive is A: and that the CD drive, which is the only other optical drive, is probably D: or E: so now I'm stumped again. Two attempts and two different problems. Which is easier to fix and how? I have no experience with SCSI and to be honest it seems a little like angry voodoo. Without this scsi drive, I think I could have done more by now. I hate losing and won't give up until I have to.

And now the obligatory PLEASE HELP!
    Last edited by Basics; 18th August 2006, 01:57.

Re: Yep... another batch of stupid questions

My post is almost 24 hours old, and has 50 hits with no replies. I must have done something to anger the forum gods. From what I've read, and I've read every sticky topic, I'm being ignored because of some sort of error in my post. Great. Another bunch of elitist post counters. That's novel. Well, thanks for the help.

Comment

Well Basics, you second post is a real good way to get help.

Every Mod here has a fulltime job and at least 99.99% of the rest of our members also have fulltime jobs. No one is going to take time off just to fix your self inflicted problem. After your post I sure the hell ain't going to help.

Have a nice day.
      Last edited by biggles77; 19th August 2006, 01:21.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

As biggles said, Basics, we have real-life to deal with as well as doing our best here. If you looked at other threads, you will see that we do not have a guarenteed response time or any promise of working fixes. We try our best but sometimes a problem is not easy and may take some time to solve. Your "elitist" comments do not help the matter one bit.

You have followed various instructions and had no luck, but it is a new PC ( to you) therefore I assume there is no data to worry about.

Have you tried using the Windows Recovery Console (with either the old or the new passwords)?

Why not a format and reinstall to your specifications? It would save you a lot of grief.

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian
          As biggles said, Basics, we have real-life to deal with as well as doing our best here. If you looked at other threads, you will see that we do not have a guarenteed response time or any promise of working fixes. We try our best but sometimes a problem is not easy and may take some time to solve. Your "elitist" comments do not help the matter one bit.

You have followed various instructions and had no luck, but it is a new PC ( to you) therefore I assume there is no data to worry about.

Have you tried using the Windows Recovery Console (with either the old or the new passwords)?

Why not a format and reinstall to your specifications? It would save you a lot of grief.

Tom
          This is what i would do, make sure to check the hardware in the bios and get the correct scsi driver for the install.

That is really odd that the reboot after the update killed your login.......Never heard of anything like that.

Comment

Working...
          X