Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

messed up registry, need to login w the admin pw to repair, cant because...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• messed up registry, need to login w the admin pw to repair, cant because...

I wasn't the one that set it and didn't ever need it....either that or it's corrupted from the registry disaster I created.

sorry, I could not get the details in the topic well enough...here's the long and the short of it, and I couldnt make this up if I tried.

Machine specs: celiron mb, XP pro, 2 harddrives (40g/20g) 1024 ram (just installed about 3 weeks ago) home and school use.

1. I've set up 3 different pc systems before for other people. In doing so I know, set the admin pw as blank, let the owner set it themselves later if they like.

2. A PC friend of mine, Roger, needed work, I was super busy opening an art gallery and tattoo studio so I hired him to set up a machine for me (I do a lot of artwork, as can be seen on my site http://www.sprite.org ) and was glad that someone else could build my machine while I was sanding floors and preparing the shop.

3. Shop was broken into just after that, all of my software disks were stolen including my XP pro. I had my old machine there, just a pent pro and was running 95 on it. I had already installed everything on the new machine. ( I do have police reports because I KNOW this sounds too far fetched :< which I had at home to work on the webpage and whatnot for the shop.

4. Roger died in 2005.

5. I get a virus, try to edit the registry to fix that problem and created a whole new pandora's box. machine crashes, on reboot it says the registry file needs to be repaired and to put in the original CD. Which I no longer have, my friend let me use her's, XP home edition, to reboot and repair the registry.... and

6. Roger had set an admin pw. Ive tried all the combos and possibilities I could think of and finally after 3 days and a lot of screaming I installed her XP home edition along side XP pro, so I could at least get on the net and try to find a solution.

7. Now when I go to reboot, I of course get the option of home or pro edition, pro brings up the needs to repair line and when I space past to get to the area to enter a pw, it just reboots back to the choose op sys page.

I did create a boot cd (no floppy) using austrumi (one of many suggestions) and it no longer allows you to change the admin pw.

I know how this all sounds.. but I dont know what to do.. I obviously can not use my photoshop or other software from XP Home and I cant reinstall, personally I would just format and start over if I still had my disks. it's 2 weeks before school starts again and Im in a terrible bind. student loans wont cover replacement of the software. I have most of the files, art, writings, etc either backed up or just a matter of copying the directories to a cd from XP home, but without my software I'm.. well.. I dont get a kiss I know that.

Re: messed up registry, need to login w the admin pw to repair, cant because...

Did you try the first option listed on my article? Why not?

Second question - if you have XP Home running, why not backup everytnig important (data, files, etc) and just format and reinstall? I'm sure you can use an evaluation version that you can obtain for free for the time being. Worry about that when the end of the 180 days of evaluation arrives.

You could also try using Vista beta 2 which is currently free (but also evaluation, for a long time though). That could get you running for the time being.

Last option - Try booting the computer with a W2K Pro or W2K Server CD and use the Recovery Console. They will allow you to log on without the need of the unknown password.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Re: messed up registry, need to login w the admin pw to repair, cant because...

I want to thank you so much for the help... the results...

I had read your article, actually there were 2 of them I read (how else would I have known to come here? I had read about a dozen articles, honestly I came to your site because you were a particularly excellent smartass I appriciated your style of writing and what you were saying.) However, the solution turned out to be so simple that it was overlooked by everyone but my cat almost!

F8, load last config, now I can go in and change the pw. AND the real problem, restoring/repairing the registry was solved.

as a side bar, having XP home installed actually proved to be invaluable when trying to go in and removing the virus that caused all this to begin with and its associated files, it was running on Pro, so I logged out, logged into Home and nuked it.

Thank you again so much for your time and your information.

Sprite

PS. I will keep coming back here tho... I found a huge number of tips and info that will be extremely useful! Great site, thank you.

Comment

Re: Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing your answer with us! I'm sure others will also benefit from knowing what was wrong and how you fixed it.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
        X