Cant get on a computer i bought at a thrift store

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant get on a computer i bought at a thrift store

I bought a computer for little to nothing it has windows xp on it friend of mine picked another one up at the same time and we started his up in safe mode passing the passwords on the active accounts we got in np set up a new user and then now hes got a pretty nifty computer, i went to log onto mine passwords on the accounts so i started it up in safe mode but the administrative account had a password on it i said fine i got the windows xp pro disc with it so il just reboot using the cd BUT the bios has a password on it aswell now im completly locked out and i was wondering if i had to buy a new hardrive to even get on this computer because i dont have a computer im on my friends at the moment
    I read alll of the things that mightv helped me but it stoped short of giving me the right answer thanks for your time

Sir Moth

Re: Cant get on a computer i bought at a thrift store

Welcome to the forums, Sir_moth

This post would be better in the password forum and it should be moved soon.

Can you please post more details of the PC (make / model of system or motherboard)
    Also have you tried google for bios passwords as some manufacturers have default passwords you may be able to use.

Is there a "reset bios" option on the motherboard (normally a jumper switch)?

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry i thought this was the right forum...... I found an old hd and installed that as the main one and loged on using the other one as a slave drive and fixed my problem thanks for the reply

... on another note im unsure how to move the thread

Comment

We are pleased you got it all sorted out. Never mind about moving the thread, it has already been done. Thanks.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X